Rear Pulpit seats.

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Sand Pebble

Has anyone personally seen or have had any experience with the rear pulpits from Catalina Direct? On their website they show replacement rear pulpit where the tubing has been extended towards the back of the boat to accommodate seating. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this or knows anyone who has and if they're happy. A month back while moored out at Catalina Island a guy pulling into his Mooring his wife fell in, he left the helm to check on her and ran into the back of me bending and kinking my Pulpit bars.
  I'm located in Alamitos Bay California and I got a bid from the local marina for $1,600 to straighten it and to replace one of the uprights. Then I went online and for about $2,000 I can get a complete new Pulpit both sides with new seating areas. The guy who hit me cut me a check to cover my Pulpit bars my barbecue mount am I a outboard motor mount so there's no longer a problem there. Also if anybody has seen the seats I'm 6-3 and weigh 230 lb so I'm hoping they have some size to them if not I'm hoping they would fit my average guest.

SV Sand Pebble C34 Mark 1 hull #418 engine 25XP

Noah

Check Railmakers. They are local to you and are/were the OEM manufacturer of the pulpits.
https://www.railmakers.com/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks Noah, thank you for pointing out that company in my area I will give them a try.

scgunner

I'm in Alamitos as well and Noah is right Railmakers is the way to go. Over the years they've done a number of fabrications for me, they do quality work, reasonably priced, with a fast turnaround. $1600 to $2000 sounds pretty steep unless there is some major damage. If you can pull the railing off yourself and take it to Railmakers I'm sure you can get it repaired for much less than those quotes.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks for taking the time to respond and pointing out the same company as Noah, I will differently check them out next week when i get back from visiting my daughter in Georgia.

jmcdonald

I have used rainmakers, also. Good company, good work.

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks everyone for the reference to rail makers I will be looking into them. I hope to be posting a new thread soon about spider cracks. I've owned my boat now 4 months and a few of them started to show up after taking her out and sailing. My boat sat much of the last 10 years yet was kept in wonderful condition. I hope you guys will join me on my new thread soon. There is so much  for a newbie to learn. I must admit im having an awesome time all the way.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI hope to be posting a new thread soon about spider cracks.

This coming spring I'm thinking about trying this on some of my spider cracks.  I've read some good reports.  Looks easy and quick enough that if it needs to be repeated still would be worth doing.

https://magicezy.com/hairline-fix-magicezy/

Check the video
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

SV Sand Pebble

Hi Jim
  Thanks for pointing out Magicezy, I also seen this product. I searched for some reviews and they were very mixed with the old timers expressing  that nothing can replace the hard work and rewards of grindging out and filling the old fashioned way. I was hoping for a quicker effective method that would protect my boat while I allowed other cracks to show themselves. This way if quite a few showed up in the year ahead I could paint the deck and even the upper hull one time and not regret jumping on the job to quickly.  As I said in another reply my boat although very nice sat for a good few years, I think maybe my enthusiasm for sailing, me being a newbie and all has had this boat out way more often than it has for many years. I just replaced my standing and running rigging and hope to replace my sails in the next 4 months. Jim, I think I will copy and paste my reply to you and start a new thread about crazing and spider cracks, I sure would like as much input as possible.

Rick Roberts

We made ours in Mexico with the help of a Metal fabricator for fairly cheap and got some propane tank support at the same time. We quite like them and give us plenty of extra space in the lazarette.
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Stu Jackson

Why bother with the pushpit modification?

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Roberts

Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 05, 2019, 10:48:02 AM

That's what we had before and let me tell you Stu that the comfort difference is worth the money for us since we use them every day.
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Jeff Kaplan

When I bought Sedona Sunset, 1986 #219, in 2004, the boat had 1 stern perch seat, made by Zarcor. We motored from Wickford, RI to Salem,Ma., and as we passed thru the Cape Cod Canal, I called Zarcor and ordered the opposite side. These seats are great and they have the pattern for all boats. I highly recommend a call to them 972-380-8724, Addison,Tx. The perch seats are the best seats on the boat, I also got cushions and back rest, goes on the stern pulput rails, which make the seating very comfortable.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick Roberts on November 05, 2019, 01:18:26 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 05, 2019, 10:48:02 AM

That's what we had before and let me tell you Stu that the comfort difference is worth the money for us since we use them every day.

I hear you, Rick.  I only offered that with the pictures as a solution for those that don't have the $$ to replace their pushpits, to show it can be done on Mark Is (just in case they didn't know).

I think we all agree they're used regularly and the best seat in the house.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."