Tools, Toolbag and where to keep

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Doing a bit of a revamp of 'stuff' aboard Pau Hana.  I have over the years collected an array of tools, spare parts etc aboard and they have spread into several nooks and crannies aboard the boat. 
I'm wondering what everybody does for a tool and parts storage solution aboard your boat. 
Do you keep a tool bag?  or box.  What kind of inventory of parts do you keep?  Where do you store everything?  Do you keep tools and and such at home and bring them to the boat? 

For reference I have had a soft tool bag with a bunch of tools and the west marine Shipyard toolkit aboard full time.  I've always kept those stored under the ladder from the cockpit.  A favorite storage area for parts has been in plastic bins stored under the port settee.  and then a bunch of miscellaneous stuff in the V-berth hanging locker... see my problem?   :D
Curious to hear everyone's approaches to tool/parts storage solutions.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : I've got spare parts stored in many places about the boat, most of which you have mentioned.
As for tools, I found a "plastic" tool box" that fits under the stove/oven.  Those tools also help with more weight in the starboard side!!

Way back in the early C34 days (1987/88?) I made a diagram in the Mainsheet Tech Notes of a "Loading/Storage  list" for where to store items onboard.   :thumb:

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Kevin, I've done quite a bit to add storage on my 1987 MK 1. I have several write-ups in the Tech WIKI. They are under the "Storage" category, and under "Projects By Boat/Author" "Della Jean / Jon Windt"

I carry an 85 piece metric/imperial socket set, cordless drill and hammer drill with lots of bits, electrical crimper, stripper tools for small gauge to 1 AWG, multi-meter, infrared temp sensor, v-belt adjuster, spring clip tool, on and on. I glassed in the area under the aft berth small starboard hatch. Tools are stored there. See first photo.

Spares I carry is too many to list them all. Some items are spare alternator in bag with dessicant, fuel pump in bag with dessicant, raw water strainer, foot pump, HX pencil zincs, 3 Racor filters, 1 oil filter, 1 on engine fuel filter, 16 AWG to 1 AWG wire, connectors, sail slides, whipping twine, needles, palm and shears, spare rope, oil, anti-freeze, on and on. Spare parts are mostly stored in removable box under the aft berth, with some under the head sink, and in the port cockpit locker, a few behind the FWD port sette cushion, and large electrical cable, buss bars, and couple breakers in a plastic container with lid under the v-berth stbd side.I have a write-up in the Tech WIKI for these also. See second and third photos.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

I use the nav station as my tool box:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html

Spares are in the cubbies behind the seat backs in the saloon.  Lighter electrical stuff is on the shelf in the V berth.

I do have a soft sided Craftsman tool bag for when visiting and also holds my electrical tools.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock is a MKll so the layout is a little different.  The baulk of my tools and spare nuts, bolts and hardware are port side forward under seat.  A small tool bag with most used is under companion way stairs.  Spares parts are aft cabin starboard under berth.  Lashed to the pedestal guard is a belt scabbard containing a knife/multitool.  Taped at the nav station is a 3mm? allen wrench that fits the wheel pilot in case I need to remove it quickly, it's happened.
I carry a lot more than most, but I go further.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

lazybone

Quote from: Jon W on October 06, 2019, 06:03:04 PM
Hi Kevin, I've done quite a bit to add storage on my 1987 MK 1. I have several write-ups in the Tech WIKI. They are under the "Storage" category, and under "Projects By Boat/Author" "Della Jean / Jon Windt"

I carry an 85 piece metric/imperial socket set, cordless drill and hammer drill with lots of bits, electrical crimper, stripper tools for small gauge to 1 AWG, multi-meter, infrared temp sensor, v-belt adjuster, spring clip tool, on and on. I glassed in the area under the aft berth small starboard hatch. Tools are stored there. See first photo.

Spares I carry is too many to list them all. Some items are spare alternator in bag with dessicant, fuel pump in bag with dessicant, raw water strainer, foot pump, HX pencil zincs, 3 Racor filters, 1 oil filter, 1 on engine fuel filter, 16 AWG to 1 AWG wire, connectors, sail slides, whipping twine, needles, palm and shears, spare rope, oil, anti-freeze, on and on. Spare parts are mostly stored in removable box under the aft berth, with some under the head sink, and in the port cockpit locker, a few behind the FWD port sette cushion, and large electrical cable, buss bars, and couple breakers in a plastic container with lid under the v-berth stbd side.I have a write-up in the Tech WIKI for these also. See second and third photos.

There's enough spare parts there to build a new boat.😃
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kevin Henderson

Quote from: Jon W on October 06, 2019, 06:03:04 PM

Thanks Jon.... OMG!!   :shock:   I'm either not worthy or you are totally OCD  :D  Did you machine and install a rack for spare oil filters?  And the bins under the cushions... did you build a type of storage system?  Curious minds want to know.  thx for the reply!
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jon W

Some people accuse me of that, but I'm not OCD and you're worthy. After 30 plus years in R&D, I see areas and ways to improve the lack of storage and being retired have the time to do it.

When you need a filter, where better to store it than next to where it's used. So I built a rack for spare filters and filter wrenches and attached to the bulkhead under the head sink. It's wood painted with white bilgekote, not metal. First photo is it before painting. There's a tech write-up for that with photos too.

The bins for spare parts under the aft berth is a removable wood storage container also painted with white bilgekote. The whole thing can be removed, or just the ends open for access without removing. Second photo shows the ends open. True you have to empty it, but I thought it important to be able to get to the packing gland and strut bolts without complete disaasembly. Tech write-up for this too.

Added drawers for food and phone/spreaker/tablet chargers, spare fuses, etc. in the hanging locker by the navigation station. Just added guardrails to the top of the drawers so I can stack soup cans. Still working on whether to fix the dividers in one place or not. Third and fourth photo. Tech write-up for this also.

PO's removed the sliding doors in the salon shelves. So I made new storage with sliding doors, LED lights. Fifth photo. Tech write-up for this also.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca