New Main for In-Mast Furling System

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

I'm looking into buying a new main from Ullman for our Cat 34 Mk II #1725.  We have an in-mast furling system and one option the sail maker is offering is a main with 3 vertical batons.  My current Main has no batons and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with batons and an in-mast furling system on your 34.  I would assume the sail would keep better shape; however, I wonder if it makes the sail more difficult to furl or unfurl.  Thanks, Chuck Philips
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Jim Hardesty

Did that about 5 years ago.  Main sail sets much better and the sails balance much easier.  Have no problem furling main.  I'm very pleased with the change. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Chuck.Philips

Thanks for the info. I'll probably order a new 3-batten Main from Ullman tomorrow.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Wayne

I went with a new vertically battened main several years ago.  The good: the sail just looks right!  The Zen of sailing and all . . . The bad: my battens are full height of the sail, so dropping the sail is awkward . . . the battened sail needs to be laid out on the side deck and over the stern as the sail is lowered.  Maybe the battens come apart for an easier 'drop'?  I'm not sure.  Were I doing serious cruising I might not be so happy, but for my day sailing profile I like mine!  In terms of furling in and out, no difference.  The battens are thin enough that they have never been a problem.  When reefing, you will want to have a batten either in or out, not ever halfway.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jim Hardesty

Quotebattens are full height of the sail, so dropping the sail is awkward

Those are some long battens.  My longest is maybe 15 feet.  I install them as I'm raising the sail, they slide up from the bottom.  I bend the sails on by myself and find it easy.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA