Water in rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

Hello All,
I thought I fixed the water in Rudder issue.
As detailed here, I filled the rudder tube with epoxy and gouged out top of rudder where rudder tube goes into rudder and filled with 5200.
For the first year or two the rust streaks down the rudder stopped on the hard, over the course of winter, but this year they have returned - Rust coming out from tube fiberglass interface (where I put the 5200).
Understanding that it is the steel frame inside the rudder that is rusting, my question is: Have there been rudder failures due to this situation? Where the frame loses it connection to Rudder tube?
Thanks
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : You aren't going to like my answer, but YES there have been incidences of the steel grid breaking away from the stainless rudder tube.  However, in the cases I know of there was a more than gentle grounding involved.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 10, 2019, 01:19:33 PM
Paul : You aren't going to like my answer, but YES there have been incidences of the steel grid breaking away from the stainless rudder tube.  However, in the cases I know of there was a more than gentle grounding involved.

A thought

Thank Ron
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Speaking of a wet rudder - here's an interesting vid from Boatworks on rebulding a waterlogged, foam-filled rudder. 
See the subsequent vids for 'the rest of the story.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXNnFx7DBQ

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain