MK1 in anchor locker windlass install

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

Curious about something. I've been reading allot about windlass installs on various models and the info on the C34 site is AMAZING!!! Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.
We just purchased "Ohana" in late July 2019. She's an 1988 MK1 with the split anchor locker and these models had no provision for installing a windlass in them.
I'm quite convinced I want to go with an in locker install as Ron Hill did on his boat Apache, I like the offset and other aspects of that particular job. My question is...how has this setup held up over time? I like the low profile design of the Lewmar 700V but the motor is meant to protrude below deck... With the in locker install the motor itself would protrude below the mount and down into the locker itself and I'm wondering if the exposure to the elements has caused any issues (like corrosion) over time.
Thoughts, suggestions...all are welcome!!!

Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Eric : The answer is NO corrosion!! 
The key to preventing corrosion is a fresh water wash down!!  After pulling up the anchor (in salt water) I would take some fresh water (a qt+. or so?) and immediately flush the windless and the chain. The when back in the slip I would really hose (fresh water) down the anchor well.

I'd leave the anchor well doors open so things could somewhat dry out, until we left the boat.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dw

Eric, I have a power windless in my anchor locker it works after that I Don,t much more about. You are welcome to take a look we can both go to school on it.

ewengstrom

Ron, thanks a ton, this project is definitely a GO with that last detail addressed. I'll report to all how it goes together.
Dwight, after the race next Saturday I'll just heave to and wait for you to catch up, then we'll take a peek into that locker and go to school together.  :D

Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Rick Roberts

We used to have a Lewmar V700 which has been used extensively while it was sailed twice to Mexico and anchored 99% of the time. We love the fact the motor was protected and wasn't coming in contact with saltwater. When we pulled it out, it was over 10 years old and replaced it with a Lewmar V3 for the simple reason that the V700 wouldn't be handling 5/16 chain and the 300 feet of chain we just purchased. It was a bit of a nightmare when we realized the foot print of the V700 was actually bigger than the V3!  :shock: We had to reglass the deck and while we were there I raised it and reinforced it. Anyway, all that to say the vertical windlass hasn't been awesome for us and worked like a charm matched with the Mantus bow roller. Here's a few pictures  :D
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

crieders

i installed a maxwell unit in the anchor locker, horozontal to the cut out in the box. Looks beautiful and no deck fuss. in the foward berth, its all in front of the teak. Will at Maxwell is amazingly helpful; the best i have ever dealt with in this industry. I got a VW 10.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Brad Young

Rick, I have a similar setup on DarBay. Do you have a houser for your chain? We do not and the windlass drops the chain up against the aft wall of the chain locker.  Then the chain stacks up to high and we have to manually push the pile toward the center of the chain locker.  We are looking for a way to get the chain to drop in the center.  If you have a houser please post a picture. Or if anyone has a design idea please let me know
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Brad Young on December 12, 2019, 08:45:27 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
...and the windlass drops the chain up against the aft wall of the chain locker.  Then the chain stacks up to high and we have to manually push the pile toward the center of the chain locker.  We are looking for a way to get the chain to drop in the center. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have you considered getting something like a traffic cone tied into that aft wall to spread the chain?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Brad : You need to get the chain dropping more into the center of the anchor well!  A deflection plate? / tube?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Cliff,
Do you have any pix of that VW10 installed?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

crieders

Yes. I have many pictures. Did you receive them?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022