Tachometer

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

I'm on a 10 day cruise and my tachometer stopped working. Is their an easy fix for this? I have limited tools on board. The needle is just going up and down.
MQ

KWKloeber

It helps us if you Post your boat and engine info when asking for help.

The only easy fix is if the problem is caused by a bad connection.
Are you charging properly?  If questionable it could be an alternator problem.

If the alt is ok, it could be the tach signal wire (connection/terminals) from the alt A/C post to the tach. It's typically a gray wire but it's anybody's guess what color a specific engine has. Or the signal connection or 12v+ or negative at the tach end.

If the tach itself is faulty it's toast- it's not serviceable.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jeff Tancock

Recently my tach was ready high, then low, then bouncing around crazy at times. Then it would settle down eventually. I pulled it out and cleaned up the terminals, and was told to take a slot screw driver to the adjustable switch and move it back and forth between the three settings being careful to leave it where it was in the first place. This was meant to clean off the contacts.
It seems to have works as it was ready properly when I was done.
Let us know if it works for you.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

MQ : Check the Tach wire to the alternator, it's the most common cause of a Tach not working.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788