Winch size for spinnaker halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I want to install a winch on the left side of the mast to use for the spinnaker halyard for raising the dinghy to store on the foredeck. Per Lewmar's chart the #16 is more than sufficient for the spinnaker halyard. What size winch have other C34 owners installed for this purpose?

https://www.lewmar.com/Winch-Selection-Guide
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Noah

I venture to guess that most folks run the halyard aft and would use their port cabin top lewmar #32 winch to raise the spinnaker. Using a cleat or clutch to secure it. That is what I do.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Hugh17

I installed a spinnaker halyard and use it without a winch cleating it off at the mast. I don't have a spare jib halyard. I have Lewmar 30 winches on the coach roof where the lines are led aft.

Mainly I want a winch on the mast for dual purpose of raising the spinnaker and hoisting the dinghy. I don't think using the winch on the coach roof will work as well as one on the mast for hoisting the dinghy since I want to be able to hoist the dinghy by myself.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ron Hill

I did the same as Noah and added a new triple rope stopper.  1.Genoa halyard, 2.Spinnaker halyard, 3.spare jib halyard.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Have you considered using a vang tackle connected to your main halyard for hoisting the dinghy?

My preference is to always try to find dual uses for existing stuff before adding anything.

Wouldn't you need a clutch or cam cleat to hold the tailed halyard right there at the mast?

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hugh17

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 17, 2019, 03:15:30 PM
I did the same as Noah and added a new triple rope stopper.  1.Genoa halyard, 2.Spinnaker halyard, 3.spare jib halyard.

A thought

Ron,
This is certainly an option worth considering. It will eliminate the need of a winch at the mast, but will also make hoisting the dinghy a two person job. I was hoping, perhaps naively that I could rig this up as a possible one person operation. It wouldn't hurt to have the triple stopper installed for the halyard/spinnaker raising and still have the winch on the mast for hoisting the dinghy.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Hugh17

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 17, 2019, 03:43:49 PM
Have you considered using a vang tackle connected to your main halyard for hoisting the dinghy?

My preference is to always try to find dual uses for existing stuff before adding anything.

Wouldn't you need a clutch or cam cleat to hold the tailed halyard right there at the mast?

Good luck.

Answers to your questions

1) Vang Tackle - No I haven't thought about this, but I really need an all purpose tackle just for odd jobs. As far as using the main halyard it wouldn't work as well as the spinnaker halyard since the main exits the mast on the back side. The spinnaker halyard is attached to the front of the masthead with a shackle and air block so it will swivel easily to side or front loads.

2) Dual use stuff  - I could not agree more.

3) Secure the halyard at the mast - I already have a cleat on the left side of the mast to secure the spinnaker halyard. I've been able to raise the spinnaker/halyard without a winch, but a winch would be nice to have.

As Ron suggested I think I'm going to replace the double rope clutch on the left side of the coach roof with a triple rope clutch regardless of whether I add a winch to the mast or not.

My original question was what size winch do I need if I mount one on the mast. I guess the common sense guide would be that if I have a Lewmar 30 originally installed by Catalina on the coach roof for halyards and main sheet then that's probably the best minimum size needed to install on the side of the mast for the dual purpose of raising the spinnaker and/or hoisting the dinghy.

Thanks much!!

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ron Hill

James : Here is what I do to hoist the dink (8' RIB).  Used to do it every night at anchor just to prevent build up of slime and to keep the ducks (their poop) out.  I'd have the 1st Mate take the dink tow line and go around the front of the furled head sail just to keep the dink forward on the hull.  Then I'd crank up (#30winch) the dink  so it was 2 ft above the water. It had a flat fender between the dink and the hull.  It rested there all night till AM.

If I wanted it on deck I used the same procedure except the 1st Mate would continue to pull on the towline (to keep it fwd of the shrouds) until I cranked the dink almost even with the top lifeline. With the stopper holding the halyard I'd go fwd and move the dink over the life line onto the deck and flip it over.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

We made the change this year from towing the dink to storing on deck. In the past I tried the old bang on the spin halyard but maybe the vang blocks were too old with excess friction. This last spring I installed a Lewmar 16 with no regrets. I like Ron's idea of holding the dink forward by the painter while hoisting.  Anyway, the new winch works great  and maybe is a better solution than davits.  We had just left the dink in the water around Annapolis for 2 weeks with an incredible load of slime. We are now lifting every night. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

DaveBMusik

My RIB is reasonably heavy. I made a block and tackle which doubles as my man overboard lift. I connect this to the dinghy and to the end of the spinnaker halyard. I raise the halyard as much as I can from the coachroof winch and then move forward to the block and tackle where I can lift the dinghy myself.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Hugh17

Quote from: dfloeter on September 19, 2019, 05:40:48 PM
We made the change this year from towing the dink to storing on deck. In the past I tried the old bang on the spin halyard but maybe the vang blocks were too old with excess friction. This last spring I installed a Lewmar 16 with no regrets. I like Ron's idea of holding the dink forward by the painter while hoisting.  Anyway, the new winch works great  and maybe is a better solution than davits.  We had just left the dink in the water around Annapolis for 2 weeks with an incredible load of slime. We are now lifting every night.

Dave,
It's good to know that the Lewmar 16 was sufficient to lift the dinghy. Did you install it on the side of the mast?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

dfloeter

Yes, I installed the winch about elbow high on the port side of the mast. Previously I had added another cleat at the bottom, both identical and the same height as the original on starboard. The challenge here was making the concave mast plate. With a friend's help, we made a male plug and cast the part with shredded and pieces of fiberglass cloth with fg resin.  The fit was pretty close. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dfloeter

With the above said, I should add that we are hoisting an aluminum AB with a 9.9 four stroke and a battery and gas can.  Total weight is something like 230 pounds.  The Lewmar 16 is by no means too large and a bit larger would not hurt. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Hugh17

Quote from: dfloeter on September 22, 2019, 11:39:43 AM
With the above said, I should add that we are hoisting an aluminum AB with a 9.9 four stroke and a battery and gas can.  Total weight is something like 230 pounds.  The Lewmar 16 is by no means too large and a bit larger would not hurt.

I appreciate the detail of weight and your impression as to the winch capability. I will be hoisting approximately 180 pounds. I have a Lewmar 16 and a Lewmar 22. I'll probably go with the larger winch, assuming it will fit on the mast.

I will probably add a 3 line rope clutch to the coach roof so I can lead the halyard to the cockpit also. It's nice to have options. Certainly for raising the spinnaker it will be better to have the halyard in the cockpit.

I appreciate your feedback.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25