Running Cables for Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

i installed a new Maxwell Windlass in the anchor locker and now I am ready to wire it; would the 2 big AWG 1 cables run under the sole or is their an easier way to get them to the battery box ?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

karista

I am also planning to install a windless, would be interested to know which Maxwell Model you installed? I am considering the model VW-10-8.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Jeff Tancock

I just went through that in the spring.
After much thought I found out the easiest way on my boat was to remove the teak veneer plywood and cut out the upper starboard corner of the second piece of plywood to get access to the back, starboard side of the anchor locker and ran the wires through holes I drilled in the anchor locker, down into the locker under the V-berth. That's where I located the relay for easy access. Then I went straight back under the V-berth on the starboard  side, through the hanging locker and along the space below the shelf to the water fill hoses and straight down and across to the battery box. There were predrilled holes for the factory wiring so very easy. I did drill a hole in the starboard side of the battery box so I could enter there and go straight into the box. I found I had room in box for the circuit breaker. I also added  +ve and -ve buss bars for a tidy installation.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

dfloeter

I would second the Maxwell VW 10-8. Ours has worked well and fit nicely.  The hole had to be bored a bit larger but that was the toughest part of the job. One mod on my list though is a stainless plate behind the gypsy as the chain is slowly beating a hole on the fiberglass. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

crieders

I got the VW 10 not sure if the 10-10 or the 10-8 but I will check.
anyway I installed it horizontally in the anchor locker with the gears and motor in the area between the exterior of the locker and the veneer...plenty of room there. I have pics is anyone wishes.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon W

Where did you locate the circuit breaker and solenoid for the windlass? Did you land the wires for the up/down switch (and remote, and rode counter if you installed those too) on buss bars? Where are they?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes about installing a windlass inside a C34 double door anchor well!   I included pictures!!   Great articles in those Mainsheet tech Notes!!

My only regret is that I didn't install both a "DOWN" switch while I was installing the "UP" switch!!

A few thoughts    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

For what it's worth our solenoid is mounted near the motor in front of the forward bulkhead and the supplies breaker at the nav station on the forward facing low space above the table. I hope that makes sense. The boat was originally just wired with an up foot switch and I opted to not add a down   I did install the Maxwell toggle up and down st the helm.  Additionally I added a cheap Chinese remote I found on amazon, $14?, that has worked flawlessly for a few years now.  I was skeptical at first and figured there wasn't much to lose.   As a test after installation I walked down the lane in the storage yard and paced off 425 feet before I got out of range. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

mdidomenico

Quote from: crieders on September 17, 2019, 12:43:08 PM
anyway I installed it horizontally in the anchor locker with the gears and motor in the area between the exterior of the locker and the veneer...plenty of room there. I have pics is anyone wishes.

i would be interested in seeing pictures.  windlass is on my long list of upgrades, but not towards the bottom...
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Hugh17

This is on my short list of much needed projects. I'd love to see pictures. Please email to jhnewsome17@bellsouth.net
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on September 19, 2019, 03:37:25 AM

This is on my short list of much needed projects. I'd love to see pictures. Please email to jhnewsome17@bellsouth.net

PLEASE post pictures here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

NOTE - unlike most on the forum, in my 1987 MK1 I've replaced the OEM double doors with two smaller aluminum doors and an aluminum center support structure then installed a horizontal windlass above the deck. I did not install a vertical windlass inside the anchor locker. First and second photos of what it looks like two years after installing.

I haven't heard where you're installing your solenoid, etc so I'll tell you what I did. The wires pass through watretight glands in the anchoe locker wall and run down to where I've installed the windlass solenoid, remote, and rode counter wiring all landing under the v-berth before going aft. See third photo. The 1AWG runs under the v-berth through a hole in the v-berth locker then through a hole in the FWD salon bulkhead. From here it runs below the sette support to my negative buss, the under the galley drawers/sink to the circuit breaker mounted above the door to the water heater but below the counter drop down.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ekutney

Jon W, Greetings & I was happy to see your install in person, thanks.

What model Windlass did you use.  I like the model you used better than the Maxwell.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jon W

Hi Ed, mine is a Maxwell windlass, but it's a horizontal windlass instead of a vertical windlass. It's called a Maxwell HRC8 horizontal windlass. It is the horizontal version of the RC8 rope/chain windlass. The model number is HRCFF8-8, 12V 600W. It has a 900lb max pull and uses 5/16" chain.

900 lb max pull is right on the edge for the amount of chain I carry. I chose the HRC8 instead of the larger HRC10 because of cost, and I intend to drive the boat up to being over the anchor not pull it up to being over the anchor so won't be pulling up the entire weight of ground tackle let out at once.

PDF of the schematic attached below for reference if you're interested. I don't have a proper wiring schematic software so it's a little tough to read. I also have a write-up of the project with lots of photos in the Tech WIKI. You can find it under the "Anchoring & Docking" then "Windlass" section. It's also under the "Projects By Boat Author" then "Della Jean / Jon Windt".
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca