C34 Mark II in mast furling mast step cracks

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypermon

Just wondering if anyone with in mast furling has had problems with factory mast step cracking. Mine has cracked at both bolt holes. I sent photos to the mast and step manufacturer, and was told the step as manufactured has four bolt holding it in place. Mine has been modified....I assume by Catalina at manufacture. Cut marks are clearly seen on the step itself. Catalina tech rep said he has not heard of any problems on the 34's. Would be grateful to hear and see what experience and fixes others have had.
05 Catalina mkii Tansa
San Francisco Bay

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock has a furling main, the step may not be different from the standard mast.  Will check on mine today.  Had my mast down last year and all was good.  Only problem with mine was no drainage at mast to step, after a rain would leak for days on the cabin deck.  When the mast was down I drilled a hole low on the mast, problem fixed.  Would like to see pictures of your mast step crack.
Also suggest you add boat info to signature.  See what others have done.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Hypermon

Yes the in-mast furling is a different setup. I will try to add a pic.
05 Catalina mkii Tansa
San Francisco Bay

Jim Hardesty

Here are my pictures.  There are 2 through bolts that are inside the mast, fore and aft for a total of 4.  Can see them from the cabin.  As most of the forces are in compression, it wouldn't keep me from sailing.  IMHO  I'd change it when the mast was stepped for other work. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Hypermon

Thanks for posting the pics, Jim. I was thinking the nuts in the cabin top were for the compression post. I can see the crack on one side extends under the mast so I have scheduled to have the mast pulled on Thursday. Will post what is found.
05 Catalina mkii Tansa
San Francisco Bay

Stucker

I just noticed the same problem on my 2003 MKII mast step.  Was it easy to order a new piece?
Scott

Quote from: Hypermon on September 16, 2019, 05:45:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone with in mast furling has had problems with factory mast step cracking. Mine has cracked at both bolt holes. I sent photos to the mast and step manufacturer, and was told the step as manufactured has four bolt holding it in place. Mine has been modified....I assume by Catalina at manufacture. Cut marks are clearly seen on the step itself. Catalina tech rep said he has not heard of any problems on the 34's. Would be grateful to hear and see what experience and fixes others have had.
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Hypermon

Scott, I am including pics of the original manufacturers(Sparcraft) mast step, and the one that was removed from my boat. Rather than modify a new one it was decided was to mill a complete new step from a piece of g10. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it and the boat has regrettably been sold. Sure do miss her. Steve
05 Catalina mkii Tansa
San Francisco Bay

Stucker

Pardon my ignorance, what is G10 and where would one go to have it milled into a replica? Also, is it costly?     I have thought cutting the corners on their replacement would be easier?
Scott

Quote from: Hypermon on October 14, 2020, 06:08:52 PM
Scott, I am including pics of the original manufacturers(Sparcraft) mast step, and the one that was removed from my boat. Rather than modify a new one it was decided was to mill a complete new step from a piece of g10. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it and the boat has regrettably been sold. Sure do miss her. Steve
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Hypermon

G10 is fiberglass and epoxy laminate that is highly compressed and I believe is heat cured. It looks like thick plastic sheet. The mast step, as designed, was supposed to be bolted at each corner. Modifying it by cutting the corners required the redrilling of mounting holes on either side of the mast. I assume there was flex fore and aft -faulty rig tuning or poor design?- and that's why it cracked at the mounting holes, but really not sure. Maybe just spending it life on San Francisco Bay took its toll. I've seen one other with the same issue, though not as severe as mine. It had in mast furling as well.
05 Catalina mkii Tansa
San Francisco Bay