Engine Questions due to black soot and salt corrosion

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

PS, you look to have the "N" series Ob pump - if so, did you change the cover o-ring this season?  Or do you have the paper gasket type?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

senorquill

KW, no idea on the belt age. The motor mount on the right looks to be loose. Maybe that cause the engine to rattle and the belt to wear. I can move the engine up down by hand on the right side.
MQ

senorquill

KW, the pump has paper gaskets that I did not change. I just found a new pump in the aft bearth. I'll keep cleaning up but will most likely have a mechanic take a look at the engine before I destroy it.
MQ

Ron Hill

MQ : Your engine is really screw up!!  You need to get a mechanic to straighten , clean , and realign the engine!!

I wouldn't run it again until all is fixed!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ryan

That's not a "new" pump.  The cast brass covers are the oldest ones, then stamped covers, then the N202 series bodies w/ o-rings and stamped covers. 

The one in your hand may have been the original, leaking and replaced with the flat cover.  It may have been rebuilt and kept for a spare replacement.  Check the gasket, impeller, seals, and shaft -- if they look new I'd bet it was rebuilt. 

There's no pumping difference between the old 202M pumps and the N202M (just switched from the grocery bag paper gasket to the new N pump body w/ the o-ring.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roland Gendreau

Clearly the upper and lower nuts on the motor mounts have backed off and the engine is not secure to the mount.   As was recommended, the engine needs to be aligned, and the motor mount nuts will be secured in the process.

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

MQ : I'd also strongly consider getting 4 new engine mounts!!

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788