Reefing system

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Hi Andre,
Here's some detail of my second reef. The 2nd reef blocks are hung from "dogbones", both on the starboard side of the sail. The first reef blocks are also hung from dogbones, but on the port side of the sail. Since both the first and second reefing lines go through blocks (on deck, on the sail, and in the boom) friction is minimized. The sail comes down pretty easy. I'm using single line "slab" reefing, so each reef requires one line. For the first reef I used 60 ft (18.3M) of 5/16" (8 mm) of Sampson LST. For the second reef I used 90 ft (27.5M) of the same line.

Again, if you're just making the sail you might want to get the sailmaker to add loops in your sail at the reef cringles so you don't have to use dog bones. You can just hang the blocks on the loops, if you decide to go this way.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

andre

Thank you very much everybody. Probably I will go with a single line reefing for the reef 1 and 2 and like jon for the reef 3. I will instal the little block for less friction If you have photos for the installation of the little block. thank you
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc