GPSmap 172c --- GPS Replacement Options

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

My friend that cruises extensively uses Navionics apt on his phone.  This cost about $10 year?  His information is as good, possibly more updated, as my B&G but on a smaller screen.  No, doesn't need cell coverage to work.  I think that a dc plug handy to keep the phone charged and a bimini to be able to read the screen are a plus.  I have the free version loaded on my phone for backup.  I plan on upgrading for next years cruise. 
A disclaimer, we both carry the proper paper charts and would be fine with out the electronics.  I still like and use the paper for large scale overview navigating. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

I am staying with a chart plotter.  A tablet and phone requires them to be plugged in every evening.  Works if you spend a fair time at dock and also there a many areas in the North Channel and Lake Michigan that does not have wi-fi or cell phone coverage.  I know a lot of boaters that use their smart phones or tablets, just not for me.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

What you mentioned as downsides of phone/tablet navigation may not be. Again, not a expert: but
1. a usb plug/charger socket connected to your house bank batteries to charge an iPad, phone or tablet should mitigate the need for shore power plug in and not require more power than a dedicated chartplotter.

2. I believe the gps in a phone, tablet, or an attached gps plugin dongle device should work without "cell or wifi" coverage?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Noah is correct.  I have no problem with GPS when out of cell service.  Don't know if you need to down load and store charts. Don't know how much it drains the house keeping the phone charged, don't think it's much.  I added a dc plug at the v-berth for cell charging while I'm sleeping.  My thought was to use it for anchor watch apt.  Tried a couple and didn't find one I liked, they also ate a lot of battery.  I'll try some again next season.  For now I use the free Navtronic apt set a way-point when the anchor drops and then I can see on the phone how far and what direction I'm from the anchor way-point.  It's something for a dark and stormy night. 
I was wrong with the $10 cost in my previous post.  It's $14.99 for US.  21.99 US and Canada.
Looked for a hand held GPS, not many.  I think the hand held GPS market has been taken over by cell phone apts.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

My 2 cents - I have a chartplotter at the navigation station and use a tablet as a repeater in the cockpit. The tablet's battery does not last a full day without recharging. To solve I added a 12V outlet to the galley overhead right next to the companionway opening that I plug a long charging cable into a Schosche Dual USB charger. Works fine.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

I do not have a tablet or smart phone.  Still using a flip phone.  We spend most of our time at anchor and are careful about power consumption. We have a 12 volt outlet to charge the phone and run the 12volt vacuum.(when needed).   Jon, how do you get a signal on your tablet or phone if you are out of reach of a signal?  Is the tablet like a paper chart when you do not get a signal?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jon W

The tablet connects to my Raymarine chart plotter via WiFi to act as a remote chart plotter anywhere I want to use it. You may not have a chart plotter, but addressing the tablet or phone battery life issue would still apply.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

Thanks Jon.  always interesting to learn something new.  I think that the new chartplotter(echomap 64cv with ultra vision) also has this capability.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

mark_53

Quote from: Jon W on September 12, 2019, 11:38:34 AM
The tablet connects to my Raymarine chart plotter via WiFi to act as a remote chart plotter anywhere I want to use it. You may not have a chart plotter, but addressing the tablet or phone battery life issue would still apply.

I have a Raymarine chartplotter at the helm and use my iPhone as a remote display when below.  I cannot control the chartplotter from the remote display.

Noah

My B&G can pass control to my iPad or iPhone via wifi and they can control all functions EXCEPT the autopilot which is locked out by B&G software for "safety/liability" reasons. Guess they worry about someone sheering from their bunk. :shock:
Standard Rig

Rortega46

Paulus, you may already know this but you don't need a cellular connection to use an iPad as a chart plotter.  All you need for GPS navigation is to connect the iPad to something like a Garmin Glo.  It's accurate, reliable and costs only $100 on Amazon.  The iSailor app is great for navigating and NOAA maps are free.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jon W

Hi Mark, It's been a while since I set it up, but think there's a view only setting and a remote control setting. My phone is view only, but the tablet has remote control so I can change screens, zoom in and out just like sitting at the MFD at the navigation station. For reference I have the es98 MFD with touchscreen.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Another popular GPS plugin device for tablet, iPad, phone etc. used for navigation, is the  "Bad Elf". Also $98 on Amazon.
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Jon W on September 12, 2019, 03:07:41 PM
Hi Mark, It's been a while since I set it up, but think there's a view only setting and a remote control setting. My phone is view only, but the tablet has remote control so I can change screens, zoom in and out just like sitting at the MFD at the navigation station. For reference I have the es98 MFD with touchscreen.

Thanks for clarifying Jon.  I was using the RayView app.  There is a RayRemote app that transforms your iPhone into a "virtual remote keyboard". Should be compatible with my e7D MFD. 

britinusa

We often have our Tablet at the Helm, it's battery only lasts a couple of hours so I have a USB Charger battery to keep it going. When chance occurs, we plug either into one of the USB outlets installed at the Nav Station.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP