GPSmap 172c --- GPS Replacement Options

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

My gps is 15 years old and in the mornings the screen is hard to read and the chips can not be updated.  I would like to replace this gps with a new Garmin.  Ideas and suggestions would be welcomed.  This is the first time in 15 years that I have searched the internet for a gps.  There seems to be a lot of bells and whistles.
Any ideas and suggestions would be welcomed.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Paul, for starters:  handheld or fixed mount?  Need a depthsounder?  Many come with them.  Touchscreen or buttons or hybrid?

Without that kind of input from you, nobody can really help except to say: "This is what I have and I love it."  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Hi Stu, good point.  I would love to have the same one but a new version.  I think that buttons/hybrid would be ok.  Have not really given this a lot of thought.  Will not need it until next summer..
Would like to hear from people who have a garmin and why they love that particular model.  I have a depthsounder and would this mean that I could get rid of the old depth sounder.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

britinusa

Our boat came to us with a Garmin 741xs GPSMap and a Garmin Echo Depth finder, plus several other instruments (wind, knots) that didn't work.

I ditched the old Standard Horizon instruments, kept the Echo depth. Added a NEMA 2000 Network (really easy) and added a Garmin (Airmar) NEMA 2000 Knots/Depth/Temp transducer as well as a Garmin Wireless Wind transducer (and it's 2 boxes) with Display

Now everything shows on the GPS, with the Echo depth backup.

The NEMA 2000 Network was the easiest thing ever to install! And new items (like our recent AIS Transceiver) were a snap to add to the system.

I'm a techy, but having the NEMA 2000 network was the best electronics addition, everything after it was a cinch.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Bobg

I too am looking for a chart plotter, Garmin or equivalent, I don't need a depth sounder, just something to look at while sailing around familiar waters, would like to take it with me to use on other boats as well, keeping the costs under 500 dollars, any ideas", I have a small old Magellan with a very little screen so would like at least a 5 inch screen and easy to read in sunlight, I guess the internet is so full of chart plotters I get confused, need my fellow C34 member input, thanks
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Jon W

Paul, Which AIS transceiver did you get?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bobg on September 03, 2019, 07:11:56 PM
I too am looking for a chart plotter, Garmin or equivalent, I don't need a depth sounder, just something to look at while sailing around familiar waters, would like to take it with me to use on other boats as well, keeping the costs under 500 dollars, any ideas", I have a small old Magellan with a very little screen so would like at least a 5 inch screen and easy to read in sunlight, I guess the internet is so full of chart plotters I get confused, need my fellow C34 member input, thanks

Bob, interestingly enough, this is one particular instance where "my fellow C34 members" may not apply to the choices available to you.  In Reply #1, I asked Paul, the OP, some specific questions, which in this case you've answered.  It appears that you are looking for a handheld, although you didn't say that your old Magellan was a hh, but taking it with you on other boats implies that.

In that case, you're actually lucky!  :D  That's because handhelds are becoming a dying breed.  That means that there are less of them to choose from.

I just did a Google search on "handheld marine GPS."  The second and third ones were for review of the 5 Best and 7 Best.  I'm sure it's interesting reading.

I was looking for a replacement hh for my trusty old Garmin GPSMap 76Cx, which I really like, but it's getting wonky after the April rollover.  It also doesn't have Canadian charts.  Easier for you in the US.  My limited investigations here indicate that buying a hh here and adding the Canadian charts would cost much more than a fixed based chartplotter!!!  That's because the fixed CPs already have the Canadian charts preinstalled and at deep discount.

A US friend recently upgraded his fixed mount and it came with a depthsounder, so he installed it separately from his existing one in a toilet bowl wax bedding or silicone.

My challenge with a fixed mount is that I do NOT want it on the binnacle.  It needs power.  I spend most of my time in front of the wheel except for leaving and returning to docks.  I don't want a TV screen in my view when I am behind the wheel.  And a RAM mount would add significantly to the cost.

The other challenge, while modest, is to learn new software if I buy a different brand.

I am convinced that touch screens are a disaster waiting to happen.  My friend's unit is hybrid: touchscreen and buttons.  Every time I went near the screen it would jump all over the place!  And it was clear and dry out, the boat wasn't moving.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

Happy hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Paulus

I am looking at the Garmin Echomap 64cv.  This is not a touch screen unit.
Appreciate any input.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

Stu and Paul- why not consider an iPad or other tablet solution? Portable/mobile and big screen.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah, having been exposed to many, many internet discussions, the primary reasons are daylight readability and battery longevity.  Besides, I don't own a tablet, and don't even have a phone!!!  Where I go sailing there is NO signal service, so I can't justify spending $40 a month for something I can't use.  :D  I used to have a pay-as-you-go phone service in California, and it cost us $25 a quarter or a year, something ridiculously frugal.  Can't do that here.  I do understand the difference in tablets and phones re: wifi and GPS.

In any event, Canadian charts added to a tablet could, I say could, be expensive.  I just haven't pursued this at all, yet.

Noah

Stu- I am not an expert on this and have a dedicated (overly expensive) B&G multifunction display system both at the helm and chart table (and accessible by wifi on iPad) so hardly the frugal example  :cry4` however, I have heard of folks happily using a tablet with "cheap" or nearly free nav program and a $100 plug-in GPS dongle—successfully cruising the world. Worth checking out?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Roc

I notice on many new boats at boat shows, that B&G instruments seem prevalent.  However I think two items gives Garmin the leg up.  First, they seem to be more intuitive in using.  But the biggest benefit recently is the fact that they bought Active Captain and all of the crowd sourcing data is now available on the Garmin units.  But I guess you would be able to access Active Captain on anything connected to the internet (via wifi or other means).  I don't have a chart plotter, so I can't comment beyond that.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

My 1st Mate relies on the ChartPlotter.

Enough said  8)

(I would install a 2nd unit to display the current plat at a different zoom level if I were cruising extensively)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water