Shroud covers

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hansen

I am curious to know if any boat owners removed the plastic sleeves that cover the shrouds. They are approx 5 ft high and around 1.25 thick. Not sure I like them, hides the rigging and if they are mostly cosmetic, I'm thinking of removing them. Any thoughts?
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

patrice

Hi,

They are mainly there to protect the headsail from rubbing on the turn buckle.
Not the pretiest thing, but usefull
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Paulus

Steve,  I removed my sleeves due to dirt collecting between the sleeve and rigging.  My sleeves were a tight fit.  I do however have a sleeve that fits around the turn buckle,  about 18" high and about inch and one half in diameter.
Protects the mainsail.  Draw back:  spiders love it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

csimmerling

is it possible to replace these with a section of PVC pipe?
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

KWKloeber

If they are oversized they'll roll with the sail. But I davy jones'd mine long ago as they were a harborer of mold  mildew and gunk.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I did the same as Ken - got rid of mine.  Watched and found that the sail seldom touched any shroud except the uppers!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Hansen

Thanks for the input, Now in the process of removing these covers. they do seem to harbor spiders dirt etc. and also the "out of sight out of mind" factor. Now cleaning off old caulk from shroud plate, Re-bedding bolts and chain plates and servicing turnbuckles. Also these covers always seemed to me as a clumsy hand hold. I like the feel of a solid cable.
Also came across this thread for reference:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4315.msg25035.html#msg25035 
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Geoffreykwright

So we're talking about the nice chrome housings over the base of the uppers and lowers on each side?  Assuming their from Catalina.  Mine look nice still, but their a pain when tuning the mast.  Is the general consensus to get rid of them?  Serve no functional purpose?  Makes sense they harbour dirt, mildew, spiders, etc...and I guess if the cotter pins are properly bent, there's no risk of someone getting cut walking on the deck...my mast s coming down in a couple of weeks so timely discussion....
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Remember you can also always put a wrap of rigging tape around the turnbuckle and exposed cotter.
Or if you tune to conditions often, use the hook n loop type turnbuckle pins (you can make them yourself and not buy the expensive ones.)

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

Thanks Ken - good suggestion on the rigging tape...
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSo we're talking about the nice chrome housings over the base of the uppers and lowers on each side?

I've gotten to like them. Trimmed cotter pins to inside diameter of tube and didn't split the ends, they are trapped in side and can't go anywhere.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Everywhere I could, I've replaced cotter pins with SS cotter rings.  Didn't want any thing/one to get caught!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788