vberth arm

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i can't find if i posted about this before or no, so apologies in advance.  the white cover over the sheet metal screw, as pictured below, for my hull 99, 1986 catalina 34, sheered right off.  Do i need to replace the whole arm mechanism or is there another way, so i can hold that hatch up?

thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

csimmerling

I bought this and it works great. Out of stock, but maybe this will help you locate it somewhere else, or a similar item.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9N0YF4
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

anaisdog

will that help when the metal is sheared off, from the arm?

csimmerling

Sorry I don't understand what happened to the arm portion. Can you explain or show a pic? I thought it was the part you turn that got damaged.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

anaisdog

if you look at this .  - https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/hatches-ports/replacement-parts/hatch-adjuster-for-fiberglass-hatches/4607/

the black knob and the screw (in my case, it's a white knob) came off.  it looks like the screw was welded on but is broken off.  this is what I'm trying to fix.  while I can use the knob and screw, it would also just fall right off, when not tightened down. 

does that help?

mdidomenico

i don't have one of those on my later model hull, but i did have one on another Catalina i had.  i suspect that the screw is welded on because the lower section slides behind the upper section.  so merely drilling through and replacing the bolt with a screw wouldn't work.  the way i see it, you can certainly by another unit or you can attempt to fix the one you have.  but fixing it via welding is likely to exceed the cost of a new one unless you have a buddy that has a welder and works for beer.  if you went down that route, i'd becareful if the arm is electro-plated might be difficult to weld and would need to be re-electro-plated (or it'll rust quickly).

you could also try to glue it with something for gluing metal from the auto-parts store, but that's not likely to work at all or long term
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mdidomenico on August 30, 2019, 05:11:33 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you could also try to glue it with something for gluing metal from the auto-parts store, but that's not likely to work at all or long term

Look up DEVCON.  It's a plastic steel epoxy.  Available in small one ouce tubes (mix 50/50).  Super strong, better than JBWeld.  Cost me $15 CND last November.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

OH!  that's cheaper than $38 for a new arm!  thanks

i just glue the little knob back?

Stu Jackson

It would appear from your posts that the screw (really a short bolt) sheared (broke) off.  Or it may have fallen out of its hole.

Glue the bolt back into the slot on the arm.  That bolt is an insert in the far end of the internal part of the arm.

Then simply screw the knob back onto the now attached bolt.

That's if I understand your issue correctly.

Alternatively, you could find a short flat head screw and try that before you even buy the glue.

If, however, it is the insert in the knob that fell out, then just replace the knob with a wing nut.  Or try gluing the insert back into the knob.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Or forget the whole thing and use a 12 in. Long "dog bone" shaped piece of wood to prop open your hatch.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

thanks Stu.  I bought the glue you recommended and i'll try it today.  when i called CD, they said it was supposed to come off but i think she meant the knob, not the knob and bolt. 

Stu Jackson

Sounds right.

Read the directions carefully.  50/50 mix.  It takes some time to set up.  I just used some the other day, where I deliberately waited about 45 minutes before I applied it so it was more like peanut butter than jelly.  It's easier to work with.

Good luck.