Outhaul

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Paul : You are lucky that as old of a boat as you have, that the boom ends came off easily!!  Those of us in a salt water environment have not been so lucky!!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Thanks for the heads up.  I installed the new out haul yesterday.  My gooseneck has a pin thought it to keep from rotating. 
I would be interested in viewing the "new" fixed/solid welded version.  Could you send a pic or web site Noah?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Paulus

Dave, thanks, but I don't see a solid/welded gooseneck.  Only one with a pin thought it.  Not sure if this is what Noah had in mind or something else.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

This is what I was referring to from CD's website:
"When a rigid vang is installed, it is important that the boom not rotate to eliminate unwanted load on the vang brackets. The new assembly uses a stainless steel pin through the casting and the center of the hex pin. When rigid boom vangs became popular this pin was added eliminate the rotation of the casting. As a result, the internal washer and cotter pin at the aft end of the hex pin are no longer necessary. The stainless pin secures the hex pin to the casting."

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-36/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/gooseneck-casting-assy-c-28-c-30-c-34-c-36/?SearchResults=1
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Sorry Paul,
I recalled I had posted about the gooseneck and went with that link.  Scroll down one post and the solid gooseneck is there.  Noah nailed it as usual.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

Paulus

Dave, I looked at the link and are you talking about the one with stainless steel pin?
Hope you had a great summer.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Dave Spencer

Yes, same as the link Noah provided.  The previously rotating gooseneck is pinned to prevent rotation.

Had a great summer cruising the North Channel and some fantastic places along eastern Georgian Bay.  I didn't hear you on the radio or see you but, from your previous post, it sounds like you had a good season.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

Paulus

Thanks Dave, we did have a great summer.  Don't use the radio much.  Enjoy the peace and quiet.  Did explore a few new anchorages this summer.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Outhaul is fixed. :D
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Hugh17

This is a very timely post for me. I removed my main sail last weekend for some rehab work and need to overhaul the outhaul mechanism in the boom. My boat is 200 miles away from home so I'm going to remove the boom on the next trip and bring home to break it down and service what ever is needed.

As far as the outhaul kits from CD, is it the consensus that this is the best way to go for parts?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Mas Tequila

Paul,

This is also on my to do list and was wondering if you went with the 10:1 kit and how do you like it?

Kent
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Paulus

Kent, yes I did go with the 10:1,  it is probably over kill but it works so smooth.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig