Outhaul

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Those of you that have purchased an outhaul from CD are your satisfied with the quality?  One of my lines broke and it has been working very hard for the past few year.
Time to replace.
Thanks for any info.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : You can replace it yourself.  Forgot the line length (length of boom + 3 ft?) the diameter is 5/16" braid on braid lowstretch.
When you remove the gooseneck fitting - if the line is twisted inside make sure that the blocks are NOT swiveling blocks, but fixed blocks!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

derekb

Paul,

I overhauled my boom 6 months ago (removed all fittings, stripped back to bare metal, repainted, added all new fittings) and installed the 10:1 outhaul from CD. Quality appears fine to me, but I am yet to do any serious sailing with it, since my boat has a long to-do list...

Cheers,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Geoffreykwright

I've been thinking about replacing the outhaul.  Can I use the old one to fish the new one through the boom (i'll use Ron's suggestion on material) or do I need to actually take the boom apart to get inside?
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Ekutney

Have to remove the end caps to get to it, no way to fish a messenger line through.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Geoffreykwright

I could not attach the new line to the end of the old like and pull it through?
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Geo : You sure can, just sew the new line onto the old end (end to end) and pull it thru!!

A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Geoffreykwright

Thanks Ron - that's what I had in mind - a splice.  Thought it would be easier than taking the boom apart.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Noah

It depends on what your goal is. Simple line replacement fine. If blocks are twisted inside, not runnig free, or you want more purchase—then boom must be disassembled.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Noah, I am going for total replacement.  I am sure that it is original gear on the inside. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

GEO : NOT a Splice - a splice might be too thick to move easily thru the sheaves!!!!  Just take the 2 ends and sew them together (end to end) with a canvas sewing needle and sail repair thread!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteJust take the 2 ends and sew them together (end to end)

When changing lines I do same as Ron.  A couple of passes with whipping twine sewing the lines end to end.  You need a sailmakers palm to push the needle through, or make do with a hard surface.  Then just a couple of wraps with electrical tape to keep it all together.  It will be the same diameter as the line being replaced.  Before feeding it through give it a good tug to test it, then don't pull any harder, back it out and see what the hang-up is.  Only takes a few minutes.  For a video.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Replace-Halyard-Rope

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Somewhat off the outhaul topic, but a constant diameter braid on braid splice is a difficult splice to make.  I found that most riggers can't make one.  I had to make one for the old Hood 915 continuous roller furling line replacement - it was functional, but not very pretty!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

I ordered the internal outhaul kit for CD and have received.  I have also taken the boom ends off and ready to install.  The end caps came off without any difficulty.
Hoping to install the outhaul this weekend.
Thanks for the input.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

Good news that the end caps cam off easily. If you have a solid boom vang make sure that the gooseneck fitting is the the "new" fixed/solid welded version, not the rotating one.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig