Fixed portlight material, thickness, and tint

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbenda50

I need to replace one of my fixed portlights. I am hoping someone knows the material (plexiglass) thickness (1/4), and tint. The tints at the plastic shop where four digit numbers 2064 and 2074 I think. Thanks.
Derek Benda
2003 Catalina 34 MKII 1633
S/V Liberty Call

Noah

The factory thickness spec is 1/4 in. The tint/shade is "subjective", depending upon manufacturer and personal taste. I took my old port sample to a local/national  plastics shop (Ridout Plastics/ePlastics) and compared/matched it to their closest stock acrylic by comparing shades and samples held up through a clear window. Their name for the match was "light gray". Sorry, no help for you there!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I did mine with Noah's help a few weeks ago. The stock thickness is 1/4". Thinking thicker would be better, I bought a piece of 3/8" scrap to see what it looked like. I thought it was too thick and didn't look right, so stayed with 1/4". It was called "light gray", and think the number was 2064. I'm out of town so can't check my records. Best to take your original to the local plastic shop and compare to their samples like Noah suggested.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Db

IIRC there has been a number of posts in the past about replacing the fixed windows - do a search for good tips on doing it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain