Pau Hana Update.. to the update

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I Figured I would give a post about the update to the update   8)
Earlier in the season I had a lot of mast work done to address my lingering sticky halyard issue.  In the end, as one thing led to another, I had the following items completed since I already had riggers at the top of the mast.

•   Windex that was corroded and had fallen off, replaced with a new one.
•   VHF Antenna was showing signs of fatigue and corrosion - replaced with new
•   Raymarine wind vane transducer replaced with new.
•   Mast head tri color and anchor lights changed to LED
•   New spreader boots installed.
•   Tide Strong Track installed

Of course all the mast work was happening to address the sticky halyard.  I had the Tide Strong Track installed, and, while it made a difference when we went out a few times, it still had something else happening... too much friction.  Riggers came again and re-run the halyard inside the mast in case there was a wrap inside.  In the end, the big discovery was the small divider plate between the main halyard sheave and the sheave on the port side.  The riggers were able to trim and adjust this plate to allow it not to come into contact and rubbing with the sheave and the halyard thereby decreasing the drag and the abrasion to the line.  Since that correction was done we have seen the most dramatic improvement in the ease of raising and lowering the main.  I've also taken to using Stu's technique of loosening up one side of the lazy jacks when leaving the marina and, when pointing into the wind to raise the main, I fall off slightly to the side that is loosened up so that the battens do not catch on the lazy jacks.  "Piece O Cake".  The Admiral loves the new set up in the ease of raising and lowering mainsail.   
As things have it... no good deed goes unpunished.  I was having a bit of a leak in my Gor packing gland around the shaft... I need to tighten it up.  But I discovered this leak because I had a small bit of salt water in the bilge under the water heater.  Diligently checking the bilge pump switch, I was dismayed to discover my switch was not working.  Some troubleshooting later and I discovered a corroded connection on the ground line.  (I'm learning that almost all electrical problems on the boat can likely be traced to a faulty ground)  I replaced this wire with new and reconnected using heat shrink double butt connections and some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing... should be good to go for a while now.  I did not want to embark on adjusting the packing gland without a solid feel for reliability on the bilge pump switch in case things went awry and I began to fill the bilge.
Finally... and still running through my list of overdue maintenance projects, I addressed the issue of the small leak at the base of the Jabsco electric marine toilet.  This problem perplexed me since I thought it would be easiest to simply replace the electric conversion kit that the PO had installed.  When I got to WM and looked at the price ($450) I quickly began to research other options.  I never liked the electric marine toilet due to the noise and the drain on the battery.  The Admiral didn't like the entire head assembly because it looked a little "tired".  Sooo... since I am a big believer in the K.I.S.S. concept.  This past weekend our local West Marine had their customer appreciation day and lots of goodies on sale.  Along with an unused gift card from Christmas I walked out the door with a new Jabsco twist n lock marine toilet and accompanying replacement hoses and hardware for about $100.  Installed the new head and it looks spiffy and clean.  Easy to maintain with one less system to worry about (The electric pump) and, I have an open spot on my 12V panel for something else if I want it.   

Cheers!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

britinusa

I'm not sure what you're describing when you wrote "the  small divider plate between the main halyard sheave and the sheave on the port side"

But sounds like you accomplished a lot.  :D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Kevin Henderson

Tried to find a way to identify the exact piece that was causing my problems at the sheaves.  The picture below is from the C34 1988 owners manual.  The small area highlighted in red indicates the piece that had somehow became bent or was sticking out enough to interfere with the main halyard sheave.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

mdidomenico

i thought i had a picture of mine (since my masthead is in pieces at the moment), but i can't find it.

these aren't exactly what you should have in your masthead between the sheeves, but the bits look the same.  i believe the difference is just in size

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-26/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/boom-end-divider-plate-cp-22-cp-26-c-250-late-c-270/

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp