CNG to Propane

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Carter

I know...I should have done this a long time ago, in my defense I like CNG and I'm lazy.

I've been looking through all the posts on the topic since yesterday but they're all pretty old and I can't seem to find a contact for Seaward I did find Sure Marine and I'm not very encouraged about what they told me. (see below)

Do I need to switch out the burners? Or just the hardware for the bottles? Is it actually possible to convert my old stove and have it be "USCG/ABYC compliant?"
Is there someone else I need to talk to? Somehow from my first readings of posts here it didn't seem like it would be a big deal. Now I may just sell my boat!  :cry4` :clown

From Sure Marine Service Inc.

"Hi Jim,

The necessary parts to convert the oven and make it function are almost certainly no longer available.

The issue is the oven thermostat control, which will almost certainly not be compatible with propane.

They no longer manufacture the correct, propane compatible thermostat to convert the stove.
At minimum, all the burner jets would need to be changed, 2 on top, 2 in the oven.

Changing the jets will not make the oven run correctly.

You would also need to re-label the stove for the correct fuel (per ABYC,) but the replacement oven door placard is no longer available.
Assuming you could locate an LPG compatible thermostat, there is still no way to convert the stove and have it be USCG/ABYC compliant.

Once converted, the stove would not meet ABYC A-26.5.12 which states "All (propane) appliances shall have flame failure devices on all burners, and pilot lights, that will prevent gas from flowing to the burner if flame is not present."
There is no practical way to convert the stove to propane and bring it up to the current safety standards which have been in place since the 1980s.

If you want to send me a photo of the oven thermostat (part behind oven knob,) I can tell you if it can probably be made to work with propane, but most likely, it will not work.

If you need the stove to be USCG compliant, you will need to replace it.

Kind regards,

Todd Glenn"

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
SV Ripple Catalina 34 #360

Steve Hansen

I too am a CNGer but have given up on the idea of conversion. Haven't  come across any flame protection upgrade kits. We use a propane grill on the rail and an electric skillet at the dock.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Jim Carter

Coming from San Diego it's been easy to buy CNG. Now I'm living in Ensenada and getting ready to cruise South from here CNG will no longer be an option.

scrimshawsc34

I think there has been a ton of research on this and I agree with your conclusion. If you are going to convert to Propane, you need to gut the cooking system.   Why gut it?   

1. Fuel Source - you need to have a "Gas Bilge" for the leaking propane to escape out of the boat as Propane is heavier than air.
2. Gas Lines - this you may be able to resume, but they will not be long enough, so you'll need to replace.
3. Stove -  Yup..  it will burn it, but not safe

In the Great Lakes I found a place, but if I go cruising, I'll need to get creative.

Michael Principe
S.V 5 O'Clock Somewhere 1986 #63
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

Craig Illman

Sure Marine is local to me in Seattle. In the numerous times I've delt with them, I've found them honest and very helpful. I'd really have to trust their advice.

Craig

Jim Hardesty

This is off topic.  Excuse me. 
I've read the warning about using the propane stove for heating.  See so many warning stickers I pay less and less attention to them.  Does anyone have a stove top gadget for warming up the salon?  I've heard using flower pots and just putting a kettle on.  Is there anything else that would help to take the chill off?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Carter

That's why I'm heading South, "goin' where the weather suits my clothes."  :D

I've found that even a kerosene lamp raises the temp a little.

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 17, 2019, 06:53:19 AM
This is off topic.  Excuse me. 
I've read the warning about using the propane stove for heating.  See so many warning stickers I pay less and less attention to them.  Does anyone have a stove top gadget for warming up the salon?  I've heard using flower pots and just putting a kettle on.  Is there anything else that would help to take the chill off?
Jim

Jim Carter

Yep sigh.

Quote from: scrimshawsc34 on August 17, 2019, 03:19:24 AM
I think there has been a ton of research on this and I agree with your conclusion. If you are going to convert to Propane, you need to gut the cooking system.   Why gut it?   

1. Fuel Source - you need to have a "Gas Bilge" for the leaking propane to escape out of the boat as Propane is heavier than air.
2. Gas Lines - this you may be able to resume, but they will not be long enough, so you'll need to replace.
3. Stove -  Yup..  it will burn it, but not safe

In the Great Lakes I found a place, but if I go cruising, I'll need to get creative.

Michael Principe
S.V 5 O'Clock Somewhere 1986 #63

Jim Carter

Thanks Graig that's good to know and pretty much why I posted their e-mail. You never know if you're getting advice, a sales pitch or a combination of the two.

Quote from: Craig Illman on August 17, 2019, 05:25:08 AM
Sure Marine is local to me in Seattle. In the numerous times I've delt with them, I've found them honest and very helpful. I'd really have to trust their advice.

Craig

Noah

Try California! ... "Everyone's talkin' about it..." 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

If you don't mind carrying 1 lb propane bottles I bought a Mr. Heater portable buddy that does a good job of keeping the salon comfortable.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jim

I've relied on Todd before and he knows his stuff!!
Seaward was bought by Whale and parts are no longer available. I believe that Sure bought out any remaining parts.

Not good news but heed Todd's advice about making it safe especially with the heavy gas.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Carter

Thanks.

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 17, 2019, 06:35:12 PM
Jim

I've relied on Todd before and he knows his stuff!!
Seaward was bought by Whale and parts are no longer available. I believe that Sure bought out any remaining parts.

Not good news but heed Todd's advice about making it safe especially with the heavy gas.

Ron Hill

Jim H. : I had a "BlackCat" tent propane heater.  Worked well to take the chill off - used it every fall.  It was certified to be used inside.  Look in a Camping Equip. store.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788