Anchor Marker

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

Hi All,

I know this can be a controversial topic but hear me out.  Sometimes its helpful to know exactly where your anchor is and to let others know where your anchor is.  I'm aware that there can be issues with creating a marker using just a plain line and a bleach bottle (or similar).  Things like fouling another boats prop - or your own, having the tide rise and the float pulls out your anchor, etc. 

Our friend has invented a product Elastatether that solves these issues.  My son has been manufacturing the product for about a year and has recently taken ownership of the company and several improvements have been made.  I am associated to it but honestly we have used the Elastatether for 2 years on both our Catalina 34 and our Hunter 36 with great success.  It's basically a float on a giant elastic string that adjusts with the tide.  It is made to intentionally give way under strain like another boat running it over so as not to foul their prop.  Note this is not a trip line but it can help you determine where your anchor is to enable you to pull out the anchor in the opposite direction.

Please take a moment and check out the website to see how it works. http://elastatether.com/ and they are now available on Amazon.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Geoffreykwright

Trip line aside, you can also use this technique to mark your anchor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvD7C3HukrM&t=63s

if you want something to break away (rather than for recovery) you can use lighter like.  I think the float with the block and the weight is brilliant.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Guys : I used a "anchor ball" faithfully for years, until it got caught between the top of the rudder and the hull.  That took a dip overboard to untangle the ball and line.  Looks like the "elastatether" might solve that problem?

The cleverest anchor float that I've seen is a miniature duck decoy!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Sue Clancy

Elastatether in certain conditions like strong tide and opposing winds is not recommended due to probably what you experienced Ron.  While it won't really foul the rudder, it will just break under the force and then you may lose it.

Funny you mention the duck decoy Ron.   We have had people in dinghys go by and try to pick up the Elastatether and try to take it thinking its just floating.  That is why its clearly marked with what it is on the float.  Once they read that they quickly drop it.  I imagine people trying to pick up the duck decoy would be entertaining.

Also the float with block and weight is similar to Elastatether in that it rises and sinks based on the tide due to the giant elastic band.  However even a lighter line can foul a prop.  The elastic will break pretty easily under the force. 

Sue
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT