question about whisker pole

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWas your pole usable without the mast fittings?

Carlos,
When I bought my previous boat an S2 9.2, a very good boat, the p.o. had it rigged unconventionally.  Two forestays with hanked on sails, two mainsheets etc.  I sailed it a season that way and decided it needed changed for my short after work sails and weekend day sails.  The local sailmaker, very knowledgeable person,  came to my boat with recommendations.  He said there was no way to use the whisker pole without a mast fittings.  He eyed up where to put the ring.  I marked it and added the ring the next season.  Only used it a little as I'm my own and mostly only foredeck crew.
To see if you would use the whisker pole just buy a mast ring.  Should go a little above the clew of the sail ie. so the pole is down a little at the sail clew when used.  At some time put a block and lift line on the padeye you have and cleat it at the unused mast base cleat to aid in setting the pole.
If you haven't done so yet look through everything on the boat, you just may find the uninstalled mast ring and may be a block and lift line.  The po may not have been sure where to put it on the mast.  Then lost interest.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I forgot to mention: one very good reason to store pole on the mast is it is much easier to use when short-or single-handed. No need to heft it into a ring or pole car attachment point on the mast, as it lives there ready to deploy.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

csimmerling

Thanks Jim. I did as you suggested and rummaged around in some cans of fittings that had been on the boat and found what looks like a mast ring. I had looked through everything a few years ago but at the time I wasn't thinking of the whisker pole so didn't recognize it. I guess the PO never got to installing it. I'll give it a try!
Carlos
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Ed Shankle

That small pad eye you said was on the mast up by the steaming light most likely is for a small block for a topping lift. I think that's what Jim was alluding to, but just wanted to be clear.
Regards
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Is it a cleat as he first said or a pad eye?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

csimmerling

Both - there is a cleat just above the deck, and a small padeye way up under the deck light by the spreaders. Both are on the mast centerline.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY