Cruising Speed/RPMs with Universal 25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

sailscituate

Looking for some insight/guidance on what we can expect under motor (acknowledging the variability of conditions). Generally speaking, we don't do a lot of motoring. We're on our first extended cruise and have run into unfavorable winds. I have a two-blade prop (not sure of the pitch) and have been maxing out at 4-4.3 knots. RPMs are at 2500, temperature a steady 160. We've got a long slog tomorrow with 8-10 mph winds forecast to be on the nose. Wondering if I just need to accept the fact that this is about as good as I'm going to get from the 25XP with my current prop configuration. Would also welcome thoughts on what I could expect by investing in a new prop.
Thanks in advance.

Ken Juul

M25xp with a 3 blade Michigan Sailor 5.5-6 depending on how heavy we are and wave conditions.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mark_53

M25XP 6.5 -7knots with a 3 blade 10 pitch prop. in protected water with no wind at 2500rpm.

Stu Jackson

M25 6.5 -7 knots with a 3 blade 15 x 10 pitch prop. in flat water with no/little wind at 2800rpm, clean bottom, 2500 rpm is 6+ knots.  WOT that I check regularly both in gear and out of gear is 3000.

My PO removed the two blade, so I don't know what that performance was nor do I recall the dia / pitch - it's somewhere at the bottom of my locker.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

As I recall the factory spec. 2 bladed prop is a 15" X 10". 
Ron, Apache #788

sailscituate

Thanks for the input. Obviously I'll be shopping for a 3 blade this winter. For the short term, any thoughts on running at 2800? I've pushed it on a few occasions, but haven't run that high for any significant time.

KWKloeber

Two questions - is your rpm accurate? Is your speed over ground accurate?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailscituate

Noah

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 03, 2019, 11:08:05 AM
M25 6.5 -7 knots in flat water....with no/little wind at 2800rpm, clean bottom, 2500 rpm is 6+ knots.  WOT that I check regularly both in gear and out of gear is 3000.
I get approx same speed as Stu, on my 25XP but I have a 3-blade Flexofold—which I "hope" gives me more speed under sail than a fixed-bladed prop.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailscituate on August 03, 2019, 01:39:15 PM
Thanks for the input. Obviously I'll be shopping for a 3 blade this winter. For the short term, any thoughts on running at 2800? I've pushed it on a few occasions, but haven't run that high for any significant time.

I ran at 2800 from SF to Maple Bay, British Columbia, in 2016, 1500 nm, 7.7 knots.  Don't "baby" the engine.  Still runnin'.  :D

I put a 3 inch HX on eons ago.

180F
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

All of our racers down play the 3 bladed prop because of the drag, but it will back down right now. Wife does all of the motoring in and out of the dock. Some times I get a little worried if she comes in a little hot, but in 25 years she has always stopped well short of that steel sea wall. Fixed or folding, your choice. To me, I'll stay with 3 blades. (i don't race)
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

britinusa

Hey Guys,
would you go back and edit your posts in this thread and include the following:

Boat Name
#of Prop Blades
Max Engine RPM
Typical Temp at Max Engine RPM
Avg Speed at Max Engine RPM through the water.

I'm compiling a spreadsheet with averages that might help everyone.

Thanks.

Eximius:
3Blades
2100 RPM
152ºF (148ºF Thermostat)
6.5knots

Thanks.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : A while back I wrote a Mainsheet C34 Tech Note article on "Boat Speed; Prop and Engine"!!  You might find it interesting reading!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788