location of blower

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I read through trying to search blower location without success.  A few years ago I turned the blower switch on at the instrument panel and nothing happened.  Didn't really use it regularly, so no idea whether its a switch issue or a blower issue, or when it went out.  But not sure of where the blower is even located to see if it's getting power, or how I should test the leads to the switch on the panel.  Any advice appreciated.  If other issues don't take precedence, I'd like to try to get a look at this this summer.  I need a boat systems for dummies level book.  I have a few boat repair and maint books aboard, 300 miles away.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

mark_53

I have an MK1 boat and the blower is behind the aft bulkhead or accessible through the engine control panel in the cockpit.  If you have an MKII it maybe located different.

Sdsailor

Captran, thanks for your post. your bilge blower should be located and accessible from under the aft berth bed access boards. follow the exhaust hoses that hang, particularly the one on the cockpit instrument panel side, its placed inline with the hose. Additionally, the blower should be fused. The fuse should be accessible from the instrument panel. Maybe its just a bad fuse.

Personal experience recently with my bilge blower fan:
      On a recent 135nm sail, i developed an exhaust leak in the riser manifold area. lot of red eyed crew. It was first only affecting the head, as the riser is located under the head sink. but it grew, and was exhausting into the head excessively.
i had some pvc material that i cut, wrapped with foil and zip tied around the leak, it helped but the real saving grace was that blower fan that acted as my exhaust until i returned home.

good luck,

Dan
Dukes On Sunday

captran

Thank you both for your reply.  I have a Mark 2 (1997) but will look again.  I saw the white flexible hoses that are on both sides of the bilge near the dripless shaft and water strainer but couldn't see where it went.  I'll also open up the instrument panel and look for a fuse.  I can test to see if there is power to the switch, as that's within my basic "skill" set, but will have to figure out how to test the fuse and line from the switch to the blower.  Makes sense if power is at the switch . then look at if power is at the connection to the blower, assuming I can locate it OK.  I've owned Voyager since 01 and every year either the area to work in is getting smaller or I am getting older.  also, great idea of using the blower to vent exhaust fumes in case of failure!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

DaveBMusik

Mine was also a bad fuse.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

rmbrown

In my boat, I found the blower to be shot.  I replaced it... (location described accurately above) and am absolutely amazed at how much hot air that it pulls out of the engine compartment.  I upgraded my alternator and how quickly I can charge the batteries is a function of how cool I can keep it, so I have the duct containing the (exhaust) blower pulling right off the alternator and the passive inlet side blowing air on the other side of the engine.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

captran

Followed the blower hose until it disappeared toward the back of the underside of the boat. emptied out the aft port locker and found the blower just before the  stern "cowling"(plastic on my 1997).  It says "DetMar Corporation BLOWER  with IS) 9097" and  fuse info.  Don't know if there was a loose wire or what, but as I checked all the connections, looking for a fuse wire,(which I couldn't find), I was about to give up ,but clicked on the switch and it was working (and continued every time I turned it on during the next 6 weeks). Maybe there was strain on the wiring, or maybe it was a little corrosion on the switch. Maybe it's one of life's mysteries.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345