Might be replacing our Cutlass Bearing - tools?

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

We heard squealing noises from aft of the dripless, sounded like from the cutlass bearing area. So we might be doing a haul out to replace it.
While sailing and the gear in neutral, I could clearly hear the squeal above deck, but with the aft berth floor panel out of the way, I was certain it was from aft around the cutlass bearing.

Searched the archives, found this thread https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8920.15.html and talks of renting a bearing replacement tool.

As far as 'set screws' are concerned, if there are any in the strut, would they be on the sides, both, one or more screws?

As far as Tools are concerned, where can we rent them from, I don't have the equipment to manufacture them although the tough part is the collets.

Going to the boat today to try and take a video of the shaft / strut. Having a diver routine cleaning later this week. So I should know if it's something stuck that shouldn't be there (baggy etc) or if their is wobble in the shaft at the bearing. Then I can make the decision to haul out or not.

TIA.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

fatamorgana

I still have Dan's tool that he made for this.  He wanted me to hang on to it until someone else needed it.  Just pay for shipping, and I can send it to you.  It works great!  I also rented a gear puller from an auto parts store to pull the prop. 
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

britinusa

Thanks fatamorgana I should be making the decision by the end of the week. (Diver normally works 31st/1st of the month)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

scgunner

Paul,

Before you get too crazy(haul boat, etc.)why not grab a mask and check it yourself. You can visually check to see if the shaft is centered on both sides in the bearing, next grab the prop with both hands and wiggle it up and down then side to side, there shouldn't be any play. I'd tend to think if you had a serious problem down there your bottom guy would have noticed it. Also while under sail did you put it in gear to stop the shaft to make sure that that's where the squealing is coming from.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

britinusa

Considered diving on the boat at the dock in the dirty canal - not my favorite sport - hence monthly diver service.

Yes, the noise only occurs when in neutral under sail. It does occur under power in gear too.
Shifting into neutral when sailing over 4knots and the squeal (not continuous but related to revolutions)  starts, stops when we put it into gear.

With my head close to the dripless, the noise is certainly coming from the area of the cutlass bearing assembly.

It could be a simple poly bag on the shaft near the bearing - a whole lot cheaper than a haul out.

Should know by the weekend.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : The struts that I've seen with set screws were on the starboard side.  However, the majority of the C34s that I've been around did NOT have set screws.

You can buy "gear" puller (3 prong) from Ace hardware or Harbor Freight for under $10.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Thanks Guys.

The divers went down last night and found the zinc had slipped back on the shaft towards the cutlass bearing and was most likely the cause of the screeching.

Old zinc removed, new installed - going down to the boat this morning to check it out. Fingers crossed.

From the posts:
As always, really useful posts and a couple of emails with additional info (Ken Can I post those links you sent me?)

Noah, I see the zinc you have on your strut, our strut is zinc free - I thought the strut was bronze.

Update after boat visit this morning.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Paul- The strut is bronze, that is why it is a good idea in saltwater to protect it with a zinc. Your bronze prop gets its protection from the shaft zinc. Unless it is like mine (Flexofold) or other large hub folding or feathering prop which also has a proprietary zinc on the prop hub.
Standard Rig

britinusa

Thanks Noah,
Is that a pair of zincs? ie. One on either side of the strut and thru bolted?

paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Yes. technically it is one two-sided "clamshell" style zinc  that is sandwich together and through-bolted with included hardware.
Standard Rig

glennd3

Great news. I am going to stand next to you in a thunderstorm! Lucky

Quote from: britinusa on July 30, 2019, 06:59:44 AM
Thanks Guys.

The divers went down last night and found the zinc had slipped back on the shaft towards the cutlass bearing and was most likely the cause of the screeching.

Old zinc removed, new installed - going down to the boat this morning to check it out. Fingers crossed.

From the posts:
As always, really useful posts and a couple of emails with additional info (Ken Can I post those links you sent me?)

Noah, I see the zinc you have on your strut, our strut is zinc free - I thought the strut was bronze.

Update after boat visit this morning.

Paul
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

britinusa

It was the zinc. Ran engine in gear from Min to Max and in between - Screechless.

:)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Your diver needs to check them every time he wipes down hull and make sure they are tight and making good contact. If not, the zincs (and the diver) aren't doing their jobs!😎
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Great to hear the good news.  On an overall basis, this is also a great tutorial for others to follow when faced with "new" noises "down below."  Thanks for letting us know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."