Soundproofing

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

The Kits at defender are 32" x54" as of today.  Noah- How much more than one kit did you need to "obsessively" do the job? (provided the kit was the same size).  If it was only 1.25 kits I may opt to order a single kit for now.  For example, I do not have sound proofing on the access doors as of now and its not so bothersome.  My current foam is breaking down and causing a mess.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

glennd3

Noah what is the white tank with the gauge on top? It is in the third picture.

Quote from: Noah on July 20, 2019, 04:49:14 PM
Some pics of 1 in. Sounddown:
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Noah,

I just looked through your pictures again and noticed the insulation on door under the head sink, that's a great idea, you do get a lot of noise from that compartment. Guess what I'm doing next!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Glenn: the white "tank with gauge" is my Racor series 500 turbine fuel filter with vacuum gauge.

Chris: my insulation is a hybrid mix consisting of two kits: A 1in. Yachtsman Sound Down insulation kit from Defender, which used spray adhesive, and a 1/2 in. Sound Down (knock-off or OEM) kit from West Marine, that had peel and stick backing. I cobbled it all together and had leftovers. I also bought extra foil-style tape from West Marine and Home Depot. I went overboard on insulation but it worked well. Some places I ended up using two layers of 1/2 in. to make 1in. One kit, no matter how you slice it, won't be enough to do all surfaces, doors, etc.  "compulsively", in my opinion.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

I agree you can't put in to much insulation only not enough. FYI, I found the exact replacement insulation at my local chandlery, it's sold in sheets.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273