Alternator - Internal - External Regulator change over switch

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Hi Guys, anyone see something wrong with my planned rewire of my Alternator Regulator system.

Trying to avoid an issue with our old External Regulator giving out at an inopportune time.

Here's the planned diagram.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Sorry about that, my pc went to sleep and I didn't get the chance to review the image online :(

Here's the image with a white background.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

[Edit - Maybe a pic of the back of your alt would help me "see" what you are referring to.]

Paul

Are you running your tach negative all the way back to the alt, or is that just schematically shown?

Which alt/internal reg do you have now, such that you have an external V sense?  Maybe you've discussed that previously.

Are you calling the alt excite circuit from the key switch and from the ext reg two different things -- a little confused where/which connections at the alt you are referring to, but again dunno which alt you have.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Ken, my understanding of the internal v external regulator system is as follows.

If using the internal regulator - the 12v from the Ignition is applied to the Excite connection of the Alternator.
The Internal Regulator then sets the Field voltage as required by sensing the Alternator output voltage.

If using the external regulator - the 12v from the Ignition is applied to the External Regulator which then controls the Field voltage applied to the Field terminal on the Alternator, by sensing the Voltage at the Battery.

The Alternator is a Mark Grasser/CMI High Performance Small Case Marine 100Amp Alternator

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water