New Rudder Oversized?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Glenn- do you have the drain holes drilled in the bottom as manufacturer recommends?

https://www.catalinadirect.com/high-density-polyethylene-spade-rudders/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Quote from: Noah on July 11, 2019, 06:30:52 PM
Glenn- do you have the drain holes drilled in the bottom as manufacturer recommends?

https://www.catalinadirect.com/high-density-polyethylene-spade-rudders/

Yes, although I did not check to see if they we closed after I painted. I will check and make sure to open them when hauled this year
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Sdsailor

Update: I motor-sailed from San Diego up the coast to Dana point.  From there on to Catalina Island and circumnavigated the island, before returning back to SD. 150+nm. I had no complaints about this new rudder. I was pleasantly surprised at its ease of handling or extra drag. It was very light wind so I can't comment beyond 15knots . But at this point, I'm happy. 

glennd3

Great! That is the way I feel about mine too.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Thanks for the update.  That kind of input is invaluable and really appreciated for those who have similar issues and are looking for resolution.  Sounded like a nice trip, too!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : As Stu said "this kind of information" on our Message Board is invaluable!!.  Even thought that rudder (not designed by the factory) looks lopsided!  From your reports though, it has enough surface area in-front of the pivot to counterbalance the increased surface area behind that pivot.

That new design should give outstanding control in winds above 15 kts especially for the C34s with a wing keel. The original factory MKI wing keel rudder would allow the boat to "uncontrollably" head-up into the wind above 15 kts while beating!!  Even with the new elliptical design (MKI) it countered the uncontrolled heading up, however because of the additional surface area behind the pivot, the rudder it was much "heavier" to steer!  That's why the MKII (I pointed out in a Mainsheet technote article) went to a much larger wheel!

Great Information all -  keep it up  !!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

The concern I have Is with the wing keel and that foil-style rudder and the fact that he said HIS rudder extends deeper than his keel. This may pose a problem in shallow water. If you ground the boat, better to hit the keel than the rudder. I think CD has an option for a shorter version of that foil rudder for wing keel boats?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah has a VERY good point.  If in-fact that rudder is deeper than the keel I wouldn't touch it. I surely would not want to go aground with the rudder touching first!!

There is an old sailors saying about going aground, "Those that have never been aground are either lieing or abiding their time until they do"!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788