New Rudder Oversized?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sdsailor

Anyone have the new rudder from CD? Mine was installed but is wider and longer than the original. CD says the rudder was built to spec but does this look right? It's about 3" below the wing keel and about 6" wider than the old rudder as can be seen by the hull fin that used to match the blade of the rudder. Does anyone have  any input on this?  Thanks, Dan.

Dukes On Sunday
Hull 503
87 Tall rig
Wing Keel
San Diego.

KWKloeber

Dan

Did you get the glass or plastic?
Can you post a pic of your original rudder.
What are the dimensions of the new one?  Do they compare to the dimensions that CD shows?

]edited] I'm wondering why...
You chose the slab rather than elliptical?
Got it thru CD rather than Catalina parts?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sdsailor

I ordered elliptical! I will ask for the old rudder when I pick up tomorrow. It's not glass, but some other material. I did order from Catalina direct. Ugh. I'm worried now.

lazybone

Old fashioned, no balance, low aspect barn door.  But even worse... it takes more water than the keel.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

MarcZ

Look at the http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rudder_Modification

Your new rudder does not look like either version

This thing is going to be very heavy on the wheel
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

scgunner

That doesn't look like any C34 rudder I've ever seen, I think you got the wrong one, it doesn't even fit. If it was my boat I sure wouldn't put it in the water with that thing hanging off of it. Sorry about your predicament but that looks like a downgrade from your stock rudder.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

lazybone

I hate to pile it on but that's F'ed up.  Cancel that credit card payment.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: Sdsailor on July 09, 2019, 01:05:28 AM
I ordered elliptical!

Dan

What's the p/n on your order?  #F8014 is the CD e-rudder.  Did YOU place the CD order or was this done thru the yard?

Some up-front caveats:
1) I don't own a 34.
2) I'm more familiar with rudder options on the 30.
3) The photos are deceiving -- the skeg offset disappears on the 2nd pic.  Are you sure it's not possessed?
4) I'm not a marine engineer or a marine artichoke.
5) But I better than aced and tutored 10-grade Geometry, so can unequivocally say that the geometry is a blade not elliptical :shock: :shock: :shock: (like CD's pic below.)
6) Someone doesn't know the difference between CD's elliptical and CD's true foil rudders.

It looks (to me anyway) like whoever is supplying CD with blade rudders has just shifted the whole blade aft (very little skeg offset.) which kinda makes sense when comparing the balance of the e-rudder to the OEM blade. (Ron's pic.)

Do not accept that rudder! Hanging below the wing is NOT correct.  No way No how. 
Someone screwed up there big time, even if they did mistake the e-order for the newer foil rudder.  Coming from CTY, Mark should certainly know better than extend it below the wing keel - talk to him when you talk to CD.

Did the yard install this???  If so, they should also have known that (regardless of the shape) and should not have put it on w/o questioning you on the length!!!
You may have gotten a "Yard Job" on top of a "CD Job."
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

lazybone

A four year old with a dull crayon designed that rudder.  Call a lawyer.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

caveat CD-emptor:

1) This rudder is not the original factory rudder. Don't expect it to look like the original factory rudder. This rudder is not only made from a different material, but is also a different shape. The manufacturer of this rudder approached the design with a clean slate and created a rudder with optimal performance and a true NACA airfoil. The dimensions of this rudder will differ from your original rudder. It is the buyer's responsibility to decide if this rudder is appropriate for his of her boat and use.

If this is indeed an eff-up, the saving grace will be that Dan ordered the e-rudder, not the one installed.

Sdsailor

Ok update. I spoke with Kent at Catalina Direct and he assured me that even though I ordered the HDPE rudder due to oem rudder taking 10-12 weeks,  that it's redesigned to be rectangular shape. It is still is an improved design and should increase maneuverability and performance. I asked why it's blade doesn't match the hull fin.  He said it shouldn't matter. I get new sails installed Friday and will report back here. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Ps. Good info kwkloeber!

lazybone

Did he provide the Vaseline when he asked you to bend over.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

Wow! Sounds extremely fishy to me. At very least a bait and switch—even if it sails Ok. It's your boat, but if it were me I would refuse it and get the "correct rudder" from either Catalina Yachts, CD or Foss /Finco. That rudder you have is not a good choice, will always raise eyebrows and could likely lower the boat's resale value.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

But did you order the elliptical or not???
If you didn't, sorry too bad so sad.  But if you did, it's not what you ordered.
And no designer, no matter how well it handles should extend the rudder below the keel!!

lazybone

Catalina Direct needs to fix this and quickly.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677