advice on upgrading mainsheet blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

hi all- I've tried to search but unfortunately mainsheet and block are way too commonly used.

My mainsheet blocks on my '86 might still be original. The sheaves aren't in great shape and I'm getting a lot of friction, so I'm looking to replace them and hopefully get smoother run on the mainsheet. I've seen some suggestions (such as Stu) on upgrading to Garhauer blocks - does anyone have advice on that vs. going with the the Catalina Direct "C-34 MkI Mainsheet Block Kit"? https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-34/rigging/running-rigging/cars-blocks-sheaves/c-34-mki-mainsheet-block-kit/

also I need to replace the blocks at the mast base, any suggestions? All I see are the ones on CD, or maybe Lewmar Synchro Halyard Blocks (though I'm not sure if the jaws will fit my mast base fitting, they don't seem to provide measurements of jaw width).

thanks!

"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Jon W

The Catalina Direct blocks look like Garhauer too.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Natterling,

CD buys the parts from GHm, marks them up above retail. You are looking at the same product.
I've switched to GHm blocks on Catalinas J/Boats and Beneteaus. You can't go wrong with them for either the main sheet or halyard / control line turning blocks. I switched EVERY block on my 30 to GHm.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

We changed all the old blocks to newer Garhauer ball bearing blocks. Go right to Garhauer and order, they can set you up right, they really know our boats. The Garhauer web site has prices as does CD, so you can compare. I like doing business with them at the boat shows. You are dealing with the Garhauer family directly and at boat shoe prices. Very nice people to deal with. Always helpful. They made your original hardware, they can upgrade it for you. They have the sheaves for the top of the mast. That was one of the first changes we made when we switched to newer ball bearing hardware.  Very happy with our new hardware.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Steve McGill

Natterling,

Go to the Garhauer site, look at the different options. Call them directly, they will make suggestions on blocks. They sent me drawings
on their suggestions and I ordered.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Dave Spencer

Yet another endorsement for Garhauer.  They are very high quality parts and their customer service is fantastic.  I love it every year when they brave the cold and come to the Toronto Boat Show in January.  I usually have a list.  If I contact them before they come to the show, they will bring what I need and hold it for me.  Great people.  This is one of the rare happy cases where the best product and best service is reasonably priced.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ted Pounds

I'll also throw out five stars, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for Garhauer!  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

britinusa

Quote from: Ted Pounds on July 09, 2019, 05:25:05 PM
I'll also throw out five stars, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for Garhauer!  :thumb:

Ditto. I contacted Garhauer before selecting the new blocks for our mainsheet. They gave great advise, assisted in selecting the best option for our setup and when something was out of stock, they communicated with me appropriately.

Eximius now sports Garhauer Mainsheet Blocks, line control blocks, and a new traveller block setup. Love them!

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Craig Illman

Fisheries Supply also stocks a limited selection of Garhauer blocks.

Craig

MarkT

If you have the original blocks then I'm betting you also have the original traveler car and end controls. One of the best upgrades we ever made to our boat was to upgrade the traveler and the three blocks that are attached to it. The traveler is easily adjusted even under full load and the mainsheet is also easier to work with.

Ron Hill

CISM : I replaced the three blocks on the boom with Garhauer and left the more complex block that attaches to the traveler as is.  Works just fine.  Just make sure that the new blocks are NON swiveling!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I recently changed my mast blocks for the halyards.  Bought them at the Annapolis Boat show.  When I talked to the people at the Selden booth, they said those blocks should be plain bearing blocks (not ball bearing).  Ball bearing blocks are for lines with continual movement.  Plain bearing blocks are for lines that are static for longer periods and carry high loads (like your halyards).  If you use a ball bearing block for high static loads, it will deform the bearings and the block won't run smooth.  I bought these and they work well.  Not that expensive.

http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/blocks/plain_bearing_blocks.html

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

MarcZ

I would not worry about any deformation under load just look how many ball bearings are bearing (intended) the load,  the number / surface is quite large.

GHm blocks have  10y  warranty

Only time I deviated from generally great GHm hardware was when looking for ratcheting  furling block (Garhauer does not make one ) and rope clutches.
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Roc

When I spoke to the Selden rep, he explained that ball bearing blocks are not for static high load applications.  Maybe the blocks are under warranty for 10 years, but over time, they will slowly perform less and less until finally, they really aren't working properly.  After speaking with him, I realized if you look at boats OTHER THAN CATALINA, you will notice non-ball bearing blocks at the mast base.  I found that interesting.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

All : What Seldon says maybe true, but with all BB sheave at the top and bottom of the mast - it sure makes a big difference in lifting the main sail!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788