Does anyone know what this is?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McGill

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Geoffreykwright

I figured it out - its the tail of one side of cotter pin holding the boom to the gooseneck!  (one side of the pin sheared off half-way along the pin).
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave DeAre

If you have a Charleston Spar roller furling main, it may be the remains of a vertical cotter pin from the gooseneck. If so, the boom will be loose on the gooseneck. This pin is not obvious when it is missing and boom could separate from gooseneck. This happened on my boat, several years ago. If you can, check out a sister ship, missing pin on yours should be obvious.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Geoffreykwright

Dave - this is exactly what it was.  A vertical cotter pin holding the boom to the gooseneck.  From the top the "hoop" of the pin looked fine.  From the bottom there was only one "tail" coming out.  The other half had sheared off inside the gooseneck.  Thanks.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Does your boom swivel or is it fixed with the pinned gooseneck casting?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sdsailor

Funny. I found this exact piece on my deck and also puzzled me for a few days. It belongs to the vhf whip antenna. A bird bent and broke mine, I assume, on a rusty point. Let us know if that's it.

Geoffreykwright

Nope.  It was part of a sheared cotter pin which held the boom to the gooseneck.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Goef : It may look like a piece of a cotter pin to you, but it surely does NOT to me.

Your boat - a thought   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Geoffreykwright

Ron - it absolutely was part of a cotter pin.  It was the bottom half of one side (the bit shown in red in the diagram).  From the top the 'eye' of the pin looked fine.  At the bottom of the gooseneck only one of the two tails was there - the other half I found on the deck.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Gents: Asked 15 posts ago
<<is one side flat and the other rounded (ie, is it D shaped like half a cotter pin?)>>

The principles of "multiple lines of evidence" and "Ockham's Razor."
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Goef : My opinion still stands!!

In your original picture "in your hand", It is tooo long, no flat side and it has a nearly 90 degree bend!?! 

It's a "homemade something" ?   :?
Ron, Apache #788