Draining a DAHL 100

Previous topic - Next topic

scrimshawsc34

Hey all.  I'm having a challenge draining a DAHL 100 Fuel/Water Separator.

Is there some magic beyond turning the spigot?

Michael Principe
s/v Five O'clock Somewhere
1986 #63
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

Stu Jackson

Draining a closed vessel usually requires opening a vent.

Suggest you check their website for instructions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scrimshawsc34

Stu,

I have and read them repeatedly.  Just looking to see if anyone has experience with this specific brand of crazy. :-)
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

Stu Jackson

Good that you have.  The Dahl filters aren't as prevalent, and IIRC were only used on earlier boats before they switched to Racor.

Have you looked through the Knowledgebase for old Mainsheet articles which might mention them?

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: scrimshawsc34 on July 03, 2019, 08:45:32 PM
Hey all.  I'm having a challenge draining a DAHL 100 Fuel/Water Separator.

Is there some magic beyond turning the spigot?

Michael Principe
s/v Five O'clock Somewhere
1986 #63

Can you give us a LITTLE better idea as to what's happening?  Even a hint would help us help you.
Possibly the drain is blocked (poke up the opened drain with a wire or toothpick after the martini.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scrimshawsc34

I think we have this figured out, time will tell.

1.  The Petcock was definitely plugged.  I contacted Baldwin (DAHL) and the engineers told me to shove an 1/8" dowel or something up the Petcock.  That worked.
2.  The liquid in the bowl is not draining... I'm getting  a steady stream of Diesel, but the liquid in the bowl is staying constant.   I took more out than what is in the bowl.  I'm suspecting that it's siphoning directly from the Fuel Tank.

Next Steps: Close the Petcock on the Fuel Tank or pinch it after the fuel pump, then try again.  I may have to remove the filter.

Stay tuned.
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com