Companion Way panel storage

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Just wondering where you are storing the companionway panels while under sail.

We recently made the decision that we would rather have them quickly at hand to close the companion way if needed.

(we were caught in 30-50 knot winds in a 30 minute storm a few weeks ago - the boards were stored under the seat cushions by the cabin table - going down to get them was not an option)

I'm considering storing them either side of the top steps.

Other options?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Steve McGill

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

KWKloeber

Paul to echo Steve's thought, on the J/120 the board (it's one piece plexiglass) fits into a slot inside the sail locker. Due to the length it's top edge is just under the locker cover so easily retrieved.
Think about a sectioned (and padded?) bag hung in the locker, held by screws or CS fasteners?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Paul,

I normally store mine behind the seat back cushions in the table area, it's a nice out of the way place, however if you need quick access to said panels they can be stored on each side of the companionway steps on top of the engine cover. You can reach them from the cockpit without the need to go below.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

britinusa

Sgunner, that's what I've been looking at. Just need to figure a way to stop them rattling.

Steve, that's a thought! they might fit in the port locker, I'll have a look on Thursday.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mark_53

I store mine in the port lazerette.  They fit upright nicely.

Scott Hibbs

Mine are stored adjacent to the steps, port side.  Quick, EZ access....and out of the way

Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

Steve McGill

Scott,

Nice setup on your MK II, unfortunatly the set on Paul's and my MK I is different and there is not sufficient space for the boards in the bracket you have on the port side. With a little modification a board my fit on each side. I still think the port locker is the best solution. My thought.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I had a custom sumbrella double bag made to fit them and they store perfectly solidly wedged between the companionway ladder and bulkhead. Never moves nor get scratched and easy to access.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I store mine in the port cockpit locker. When they're needed they're right there, no running around. I currently use my old horseshoe throw to press them against the bulkhead so no rattling noises.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jeff Kaplan

just put the panels in the cockpit port locker, then they are right there when needed. After I open the locker and take out the seat cushions, I put the panels in, easy and done.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

britinusa

Thanks Guys,
I think the Port Locker option wins for the Mk 1.

Here's the pics from the post mentioned earlier

Of course, I'll have to totally rearrange the locker, it's kinda full of spare lines, fender, Dink Anchor, Water Filter, stretchy hose, more lines, crab pot, dingy ladder, 1gal gas can (plastic), 2 milk crates, dinghy seat, more lines. But doable!

Thanks.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Some port lockers end up fully stocked and stuffed.  This is ours after we completely cleaned it out before we started our trip to BC in 2016.  I call it our toxic waste dump.  I don't have a dock box...  Could still be room for the boards, though.  I keep them down below when sailing or motoring, and leave them up in the cockpit if I'm anchored out and not going anywhere, two less steps for putting them in the next night (down & up again!:D).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."