mainsheet

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hansen

Looking to replace my mainsheet. Currently have a 7/16 line with an eyesplice loop that attaches to the block on the boom. I've seen some loops use a thimble. Can the main be tied off with a bowline or other such knot? I'm thinking using a halyard hitch much like fastening the main halyard. Looking from ordering from Fisheries Supply- Samson lines. Any thoughts?
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Jim Hardesty

If it were my  boat, I'd do the eye splice.  No tail ends to foul other lines and just looks neater.  Think Fishery Supply would do it if you don't feel comfortable doing one.  A second thought is to sew and seize to make up the eye. I do that when I want an eye in used/old rope. Google how to.  As long as the turns are tight it's very strong.
No thimble, they are for times chafing would be a problem.  Think anchor shackle.
Suggestion from someone who's had problems.  Take pictures and notes to rerun the sheet or follow the old line with the new.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Steve Hansen

Thanks for the advice Jim. I googled and found more than enough  tutorials on eye splicing. Old mainsheet had eyesplice and seemed to hold up well. Think I'll do a few practice runs on old sheet and give it a go. :thumb:
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

Steve : Making SMALL eye splices with braid on braid line is not easy.
As Jim said sew a small eye in the line and them whip it.  Apply some liquid whip to hold it from unraveling.

I always like to finish off an eye using heat shrink.  Slide it on the line before you splice/sew the eye and then slide it over your job, hit it with a heat gun and you have a nice looking finished job!!  Use heat shrink color of your choice.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThink I'll do a few practice runs on old sheet and give it a go

It's fine to practice splices on old/used line.  Just remember that it's not as soft and smooth as new line and a small eye doesn't form as well.  FWIW I sometimes finish off bitter ends with back splices, it's similar to eye splice. Because back splice isn't loaded I will do them in old line.  A good way to try out splicing.  Just remember it does increase the diameter and may not feed through some places.

I enjoy doing rope work, makes me feel like a self sufficient sailor.  And unlike much sailboat work it's not at ankle height, don't have to crawl in a small space, or be in a bosun's chair 40 feet up.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

I understand and applaud those who can splice.

The bowline I bent on my mainsheet becket in 1999 is still there and holding.  Same with the one on my mainsail headboard shackle.  Neither one is big or out of scale.

Your boat, your choice.  :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Hansen

Just to follow up on my effort on a stitched eye splice for the main sheet. Used Des Pawson's Handbook of Knots as a reference. Had fun in trying something new.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

BEAUTIFUL job Steve.  Looks like the WM rigging ship did it!  Kudos  8)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Once again if you use a bowline, it's easy to end for end the line and spread out the wear after a few years.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788