M25 Coolant Hose Elbows

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Post a picture of what pump and elbows you have. The correct elbows are (depending on the pump used) 1/2" NPR x 5/8" hose or 3/8" NPT x 5/8" hose.

I prefer straight-in if they fit the engine compartment but on the 30 you can wrestle in a straight-in and a 90 outlet.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 16, 2020, 03:58:56 PM
Post a picture of what pump and elbows you have. The correct elbows are (depending on the pump used) 1/2" NPR x 5/8" hose or 3/8" NPT x 5/8" hose.

I prefer straight-in if they fit the engine compartment but on the 30 you can wrestle in a straight-in and a 90 outlet.

On the raw water side its an Obendorfer which currently has a 1/2 hose barb.  So I understand I just need to figure out what size the NPT thread  fitting is on the pump (which seems to be either 3/8  (hard to find bronze ) or 1/2 ,  and get that fitting with a 5/8 hose barb, then its a straight shot  with 5/8 hose to the 5/8  raw water Heat Exch intake  fitting.

The elbows are needed on the fresh water pump 1 inch fitting to a 90 degree turn under the alternator to a 7/8 elbow and 7/8 fitting on the Heatxch FW. The 1 inch to 7/8 hose reduction happens at the elbow on the pump end. I read this should be wire reinforced but seems everyone is using normal heater hose which is what is on there now.   

https://www.amazon.com/GROSS-MECHANICAL-ADAPTER-PIPE-HOSE/dp/B000FOYDVI

KWKloeber

That hose barb isn't a good choice.  That picture is incorrect for that fitting.  when you find out the NPT let me know - email me from here or PM me on the GIO forum.

You appear to have a newer pump (smooth, flat cover) which would be either an N202M-15 (1/2") or N202M-16 (3/8".)  Unfortunately, Ob doesn't stamp-in model numbers and the tag (on a cover bolt) typically disappears.

I like running the outlet hose down to the stringer and up to the HX to avoid the constant PITA interference w/the outlet hose at the dipstick when checking oil level.

The suction hose to the coolant pump needs to be wire-wound.  Both the 7/8" (ShieldsFlex 250 series) between the Hx and ell and the 1" to the pump.  That hose p/n is in this thread.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain