Sail number 534

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

Aloha,
I just bought a used main sail made for the C34 number 534 on the sail. Any way to find out what boat it came off of? Just curious.
And while i am on the subject...The hull number on my boat is illegible, can I find it elsewhere?
I would appreciate any help from anyone! Mahalo, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

mark_53

Hull Identification Number HIN should be on your registration also.  On my MK1 it is behind the Catalina plate on the inside of the transom.

Noah

On my 1990 MKI, I also found a factory number sticker under the V-berth on the starboard forward facing side of the bulkhead that separates the hanging locker and the bunk. Found it when I was installing my saltwater anchor wash down pump up under the bunk.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Susan

Is she documented?

The HIN **must** be permanently applied in a 2nd (so-called) hidden location inside the hull. Check with Warren @ CTY.

Presumably (tho not absolutely) the sail is from hull #534.  What specific info are you looking for?  Full HIN?  Warren may be able to provide that.
If you know the HIN and she was documented then you can find out the owner, name, hailing port.
A rudimentary search shows this
1988 534 RVONDO - St Petersburg Fl Don Prince
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Ken, How/where did you find that?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon
Search box, main c34 page.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Susan Ray

Thank you all for the responses :clap.
From what I understand the sail number is inside the HIN number? The HIN ends in 0833G889.  I know the 89 is the year so is the 833 the same as the sail number?
There is no info under the fwd berth. There is a plate on the inside transom but worn off.
Thank you again for your help finding #534.

KWKloeber

Susan

If the last of the Hull Identification Number is correct then your full HIN is
CTYP0833G889

CTY = Catalina Yachts
P = Catalina's code for the 34 (C-30 = N, O isn't used)
0833 = hull sequence no ("approximately" the 833'd C-34 built)

See for an explanation:
https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2017/february/hull-identification-numbers.asp#numbers

The P0833 is like a serial number on a toaster.  It doesn't necessarily need to be sequential numbers or in any particular order or indexed by "1". A mfgr can assign any ID it wants to, but it has to be unique to that boat. (XYZ builder could start at 99999, assign them in backwards order counting by 10, or 4 or whatever and interject a letter in the middle on days with full moons.)  It doesn't matter to the coast guard so long as each serial number is unique and doesn't contain the letters I or O.

Plug in your HIN here to return the basic info:
https://www.hindecoder.com/index.php

The HIN format is required, it's not required to have a sail number, but Catalina uses the "hull number" (distinct from the "HIN") on it's sails.  There could be a scenario where a sail number has no relationship to the mfgrs hull number.

Ron Hill

Susan : Remove the plate on the transom - it is underneath scribed into the gelcoat!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

Mine is scratched into the gelcoat on the starboard side of the transom just below the rubrail.
Looks like a grade two student did it.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Susan Ray

Thank you all again! I think I have it figured out ..