Toilet bowl leak between bowl and bronze base

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

I installed a new bowl on my Groco HF-B last year along with a new Groco mfg gasket.  It started leaking last weekend and tightening the bolts doesn't seem to be resolving it.  I am being very cautious about the amount of torque and trying to keep it generally uniform around the bowl to avoid cracking the ceramic base.  i didn't use any gasket sealer last year but, I'm wondering now if maybe I should have.  No leaks last season except for an adjustment after initial installation.  Thought I'd ask the forum before installing the new gasket.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Bill

Cornfuzed - R U saying when you teplacrdvthe bowl, you did or did not replace the gasket?
I haven't and no problems but it wouldn't hurt a thing to use some non hardening permatex.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 11, 2019, 09:00:46 PM
Bill

Cornfuzed - R U saying when you teplacrdvthe bowl, you did or did not replace the gasket?
I haven't and no problems but it wouldn't hurt a thing to use some non hardening permatex.

I installed a new gasket when I replaced the bowl.

Thanks for your thoughts Ken.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD