New c34 owner with an old furler question

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMennucci

I just recently purchased a Catalina 34!  So far she's been great as a liveaboard and occasional day sailing. Just recently I pulled the headsail down to inspect the condition of the sail top bearing of the furler. Upon doing this, unfortunately I pulled down a part that probably should not have come down with the sail. It appears there is a shroud insulator that protects the shroud as the top bearing rotates around it.
The boat has a older style furler that actually turns the headstay with a Hank on jib attached to it.  Basically I'm a bit nervous that the condition of the stay has become compromised because the bearing was sitting directly on the stay, instead of the insulator.  Does anyone know what type of furler this is? Or know where to find a parts diagram? I would like to know what it looks like before I go up the mast next week.

Gregory M

No idea what is your furler  :shock:, but check "Rig-Rite".They have very good selection of furler stuff you cant find anywhere else.http://www.rigrite.com/A-Main/hardware_M.php
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

KWKloeber

Mike

The hardware looks a lot like my dynafurl but it has a foil replacing the headstay. It may be a precursor from sterns.  Email pix to RR and they'll should easily ID it.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain