spreader tip removal

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i didn't see it mentioned in the forum anywhere.  all of the notes on the forum talk about the spreader to mast attachment/issues.  is there a trick to getting the spreader tips off?  (the part where the rigging goes by)   

i presumed they just push into the end and the rivet holds them in place.  i drilled the rivet, but the tip didn't just pop out.  i tried sticking a long stick in the other end to try to tap it out, but no joy.

i my first thought was that i didn't drill the rivet out enough and there's still meat in there, which i can't readily see, holding it.  figured i'd check here before i go at it again
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Geoffreykwright

I've got a 34 Mk II (hull 1494; year 2000).  My spreader-tips are held to the spreader with two set screws (one on each side of spreader).  The tips just pop off (with a little wiggling).  I don't have any rivets...not sure if the previous owner made any modifications.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

mdidomenico

just to follow up, i did manage to get mine out.  i drilled the "rivet"/"fastener" out, there's one on each side of each spreader, a little larger and deeper then before.  then i put a big drywall tee square in the end and shook it up and down, knocking the end of the tee square into the tip.  after a few heavy blows it finally dropped out.  turns out along with the "fastners" that were hold the tips in, there was also ALOT of aluminum corrosion white chalky stuff in between the spreader and the tip.  probably acted as some kind of friction glue.  but they're out now.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp