Replacement needed for Beckson port in aft cabin

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskymac

Am I correct in thinking that the correct replacement is the PO512-WC-20?
I have searched the site and read several posts and articles but could find no reference to the model number.

Thanks
Jeremy Lewis. 1988 C-34 #711. Standard rig, shoal draft
Yanmar  3GM30

Stu Jackson

Jeremy, yes it is a 5 x 12 Beckson.  That's pretty much all you need to order any port or part for them.  I reommend you assure it's a rain drain model to match the trim ring.  While the rain drain isn't needed on the vertical mounting on the aft cabin ports like the ones on early Mark I cabins, just make sure you get the right one.  I ordered some trim rings for mine and they incorrectly sent me the NON rain drains which wouldn't have worked.  The Canadian supplier was very remorseful and corrected it right away.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Whiskymac

Thanks.
The hinge broke, presumably I have to buy a whole new port?
Yanmar  3GM30

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Whiskymac on May 21, 2019, 05:49:24 PM
Thanks.
The hinge broke, presumably I have to buy a whole new port?

Nope, save some money and just replace the lens.  I just did one for my starboard V berth port.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Whiskymac

Ok thanks, it's actually the hinge part that secures the cam to the main frame, so I need the main body.
I now find that part pictured on the Beckson site, no one else seems to list that part so I guess I will call them tomorrow.
Yanmar  3GM30

Whiskymac

Ok one last question.
I called Beckson and it seems it is more cost effective to buy a whole new port than try to replace the body.
I believe it is the "rain drain" design, 2", with smoked (?) lens. (PO512-WS-20)
I can't get up to the boat for another week, so I was wondering if someone  could anyone confirm for me before I order the wrong one?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy.
Yanmar  3GM30

Stu Jackson

Jeremy,

The size is right, 5 x 12.  The lens is smoked because their only other choice is clear.  Rain drain is correct.    I don't know what the 2" means but you talked to them, didn't you?  Is that enough confirmation?

Whiskymac

Thanks Stu, just what I needed.
The 2 refers to the width/thickness. They confirmed it is the 2" I need.

Yanmar  3GM30

Jon W

I think for the rain drain model you need a "D" in the number instead of the first dash. Like PO512DWS-20. Translates to port opening, 5"x12", rain drain, white frame with smoked lens, 2" spigot.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

DaveBMusik

Defender had the cheapest price I could find at the time - of course, I don't pay shipping.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Don't know if you've seen this, from the 101 Topics:

Beckson Portlights 101 ("removal tool" with pictures and guides for sealants)

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3241.0.html

and great installation tips

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9437.0.html

Whiskymac

Thanks for the links Stu, I have seen them and will be revisiting them.

Jon W, I got my terminology wrong. It is the self drain I need, so the PO512WS20. However no one seems to stock this and is a special order.
It seems quickest and cheapest option is to order the clear lens version from Defender and swap over my old lens. Even if this proves unsatisfactory (cosmetically) I could buy a new smoked lens separately and still save a few dollars over the special order.
Yanmar  3GM30

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Whiskymac

Thanks Noah, yes they do have it but at $180 (with shipping) I think I might still go with the Defender option with my old lens.
Yanmar  3GM30