Removing old decals on the hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi - the previous owner of my boat affixed some decals to the transom which I really want to get off.  I have tried gently scraping with a plastic razor blade but it does not seem to be working - part of the decal come off and other parts do not.  "Goo Gone" seems to work OK on the old adhesive residue but does nothing for the decal itself.  My local boat supply store recommended a product called "Ad-Off" but when I read the directions, it also seems to be an adhesive remover.  One person suggested trying a heat gun but I am concerned what it might do to the gel coat.  Does anyone have any experience or suggestions here?  Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

DaveBMusik

I would try light heat and a plastic scraper
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

britinusa

​ABN Rubber Eraser Wheel with Drill Adapter 1-Pack – Pinstripe, Double Sided Adhesive, Vinyl Decal, Graphics Removal Tool
by Tool Deals
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZ4ABKS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_hfa5Cb9T8CA51
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Hi Dave

WARMING the appliqués will not damage the gel coat underneath.  Understand I'm talking HEATING it, not holding the gun an inch from the surface in one place until the vinyl melts and drips down and the gel coat glows golden red. Use common sense, and start on the lowest heat moving across the surface. One at a time, not the entire area(s.)  I use that method (usually w/a blow dryer) to remove stickies that are in furniture, plastic, etc.  You light need a remover to get rid of any residue adhesive.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

glennd3

I just removed decals that had been on for years, metal razor and mineral spirits for the residual adhesive.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Many folks on this and other boating forums have suggested oven cleaner.

As with everything related to gelcoat, start with the least abrasive and work your way up.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Start out by 'warming' the area with a hair dryer as KW suggests.  Then use a lot of patience and your finger nail..  pick and peel, pick and peel...  eventually you'll get it all off.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Geoffreykwright

Lots of good advice here....thanks everyone.  I'll try gentle heat (hairdryer) and work my way up from there...
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Pgutierrez

Roc is right, warm 4-5" area with heat gun, then lightly pick with fingernail (I used razor blade).  Double shot of patience helps.  Go slow on first one, then next area Process will go faster.

mdidomenico

do your fingernail a favor and pick up either the plastic razor blades or sharpen a plastic putty knife.  you can find both in the paint isle at lowes
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

chuck53

Quote from: glennd3 on May 21, 2019, 02:00:12 PM
I just removed decals that had been on for years, metal razor and mineral spirits for the residual adhesive.

I've used a razor more than a few times on several different boats.  Heat it up some, go slow and it works great.

David Comando

Speaking of decals, I was wondering if there were any C34 decals available. Just like the one on the sail cover, (ten years ago I bought a pair for $25, this year they were $75). Anyway, the same logo, red and white with the C over the 34, rhombus shaped, about 3-4 inches? Adhesive backing, I'll worry about removing them a few years from now!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

KWKloeber

Quote from: David Comando on June 19, 2019, 01:30:03 PM
Speaking of decals, I was wondering if there were any C34 decals available. Just like the one on the sail cover, (ten years ago I bought a pair for $25, this year they were $75). Anyway, the same logo, red and white with the C over the 34, rhombus shaped, about 3-4 inches? Adhesive backing, I'll worry about removing them a few years from now!

Ok Dave this might be up your alley.

Easy and Josh said very reasonably priced for a one time job!
If you have a decent resolution image of the sail insignia you can do it in one shot, or "build" the design from scratch.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/message/103270
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain