Mushrooms on a Sailboat? Stanchion Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

scrimshawsc34

Good Morning All....

I just got a 1986 C34 #63...  PO did some hack DYI things, but that's for another time...  Going through and emptying the boat, I opened the slider above the Nav Table and found a mushroom growing out of the wood.  First, no, sadly no pics, I was too wierded out by it, secondly, no I did not sautee' it up.  :-)

I'm in the process of breaking down the interior so that I can get all the bad wood out and get behind it to see where the water is coming from.   It's been suggested that it's the Stanchion leaking.

1.  Suggestions on removing interior?
2.  Suggestions on how to Re-bed the stanchion? 

I'd like to hear from the voice of experience on this, as I'd rather not have to do it again. :-)

Thank You in advance.

Michael P.
1986 Catalina 34 #0063
Standard Rig
Lake
St. Clair, Michigan
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

scgunner

Michael,

First thing, find and fix the leaks, with that much damage they should be to hard to find. The stanchions are usually the culprit but not always, I had a leaky port and tried everything to fix it(rebed, new gasket, etc.), turned out there was a small, almost invisible screw hole above the port, a dab of West epoxy problem solved.

You'll need to be a little more specific as far as removing the interior, removing cabinetry is a lot different from removing a bulkhead for example. That stanchion in the cabinet above the Nav is also the vent for the holding tank and it can be problematic, the same goes for the one on the opposite side of the boat in the galley cabinet, it has the vent hose for the water tank, it's a leaker too.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mdidomenico

my boat is a bit later vintage then your's, but i've been fitting the same battle.  i've had to remove all the wood from the nav station and the galley.  i've find two main culprits, the vented stanchions and the nav side also has a leak in the rub rails screws (this one took me a while to find).  as for the stanchions, i pulled both sides, lopped off the vent fitting, filled the hole with epoxy and rebed the stanchion as normal.  leaks no more.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

scrimshawsc34

I'm checking to see if PO Fixed leak,  but having a challenge getting the wood off and tearing down the nav.  I'd like to take it apart vs. demoing it.  Thoughts?

I'm open to a phone call to discuss if that's easier.
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

KWKloeber

MP

Congratulations on your new Good Old Boat.

Bookmark https://marinehowto.com and see RC's articles on using epoxy to pot the holes for thru deck fasteners and using butyl tape for bedding fittings and stanchions and etc.

You should find that site will be one of your go-to resource as you do more and more fix-ups on her.  There's other sealants but butyl is my go-to for just about every bedding. I discovered (first "putty tape" before) it years earlier than I found RC's articles.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

One of our skippers posted this a few weeks ago:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10214.0.html

My understanding of removing the wood is to back out each of the bungs for starters.  Since I was THE kid who repeatedly failed wood shop, that's all I know. :D  If your question is more specific, ask away.

The ash battens behind the galley sink are NOT on the port side, so it's just the slider's trim.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scrimshawsc34

Good news... I got the wood out... rotten to the nav table... looks nicer actually..  Next step rebed...
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

Stu Jackson

Congratulations.  Any pictures or a detailed description of just what you did remove and how?  I'm sure it would be helpful to many other skippers.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Hi Michael, I've rebed all of my lifeline stantions. Mine were all sealed with some type of caulk that I removed, then cleaned the base of the stantion and the deck thorougly with marine de-bond and acetone. Be sure to remove all old sealant. To reseal I drilled a countersink at each hole (see Mainsail How To's), wiped with acetone again, then used bed-it butyl tape from Mainsaile's website store.

Something else I did on all stantions and would recommend, is to add metal backing plates from Catalina Direct to the underside of the deck. Much better than the washer only OEM method. In my case, the hole pattern and outside edges required some grinding to fit under the deck and to match where the mounting screws come through the deck. The vented stantions are more difficult than the others because of the limited access underneath and awkward positions, but can be done. After two years I have no leaks in any of the stantions and they are much more robust. Also check that your vent hoses connecting to the stantion are tight.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scrimshawsc34

First, Stu, great idea...  this may even be a pinned post, as sooner or later, everyone needs to do this.  Cabinet work is out, but I can detail it.
Jon,   Thank you for the details, that is exactly what I'm planning on.  Please feel free to comment on my progress here.

Taking out cabinets:
1. Drill out Bungs in shelf (4) and remove screws
2. Drill out Bungs in the shelf forward of the nav station that are holding the shelf up and remove screws
3. Remove front of cabinet... it's "tabbed" together, but not glued, so brute strength worked
4. Remove Shelf
5. Remove screws from wood backing...  mine was rotted, so fell apart.

Question:  How do I remove the Counter top above the nav table?  The wood backing goes below the surface and the wood is still rotten below that.
Michael Principe
S/V 5 O'Clock Somewhere
'86 Mark 1 #63
Universal M25
Lake St. Clair, MI USA
mhprincipe@yahoo.com

KWKloeber

Quote from: scrimshawsc34 on May 13, 2019, 05:59:21 AM
this may even be a pinned post, as sooner or later, everyone needs to do this.

MP
Consider writing up a TechWiki article? Pictures, pictures, pictures of anything thy will assist others.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

Quote from: scrimshawsc34 on May 13, 2019, 05:59:21 AM
Question:  How do I remove the Counter top above the nav table?  The wood backing goes below the surface and the wood is still rotten below that.

there are screws underneath holding it down inside the hanging locker.  if you've removed all the shelving above the countertop then there shouldn't be anything else above the counter top.  if so a picture would help of what you're looking at.  i've pulled all of my wood out around the nav table, i do remember the sequence it all came out in.  its unfortunate that catalina didn't make it more modular, where everything could come out in one go.  but rather there's a sequence to getting it all out.  all with hidden cleats and screws
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp