Engine/ control panel mismatch

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I have an M35AC engine but a M35BC engine control.   Normal?  Unusual?   Worrisome?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

The difference between the 35, 35A, and 35B is the engine, not the panel per se. The (C) means Universal wired the harness per Catalina's "standard" instead of Westerbeke's standard.

There's a disconnect though, the manuals/schematics for the A engines show particulars that in prior posts m, you've said that are not in your engine.  Basically, when Westerbeke bought Universal and out out the A engines, they were the old ones, with slightly different wiring (basically the wiring in the B engines.). But again you've said yours doesn't have it. So I'm confused.

Nevertheless, the only concern I'd have is that your tach is labeled as calibrated for the B engine. I don't know whether the pulleys and alts are the same -   A vs. B engines. Have you checked you tach vs RPMs?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

Here's photographic evidence. :)  Tach and panel are for B and engine is an A.

I haven't yet verified tach against actual engine but I did buy the tool to do it.  I'll check!

What are the things that I've said I didn't have (or did have) that didn't seem to match up with the 35A?  Maybe I've misrepresented unintentionally and I can check again.

Mike
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

The B wiring placed the oil low pressure switch on a bracket mounted to an unused port engine mount hole. The harness needs a 2-terminal switch.   Likewise the B has a circuit breaker and a preheat solenoid on the stbd side.

The A manual calls for those, but IIRC you don't have that oil switch, which means you also don't have the solenoid.

Pictures?

Mike see p. 30, 32 of your parts manual.
BTW does your dipstick look like p. 10, or the conventional type on the m25/xp.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

I'm looking at page 10 of the M35A(C) parts manual and that looks like my dipstick.  Crappy picture attached. 

Re the oil low pressure switch, circuit breaker and preheat solenoid, I don't know that I've ever taken notice of these components... I looked through my pictures but naturally don't have anything that shows them.  I'll check the next time I'm at the boat.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC