Compass light wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I've just rebuilt much of my pedestal and had my compass refurbed by Ritchie.  All is good now except my compass light.   I don't have any voltage at the pedestal.

I have a gray sheathed black and white twisted pair that drops out of the pedestal base.   From there it heads in the general direction of the stern light and engine control panel.  The pair doesn't come out behind my electrical panel or my engine panel.

Can anyone tell me which switch should control the compass light?  Nav/comm? Running lights?

Anyone know where that wire pair should run?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : The Running light switch on the main electrical panel controls the Compass light!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Interesting... three red wires on that post. I've got red/green on the bow, white on the stern... i guess the third might be the compass.  I wonder where the white/ red junction is hidden?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmbrown on May 12, 2019, 05:48:21 PM
Interesting... three red wires on that post. I've got red/green on the bow, white on the stern... i guess the third might be the compass.  I wonder where the white/ red junction is hidden?

So typical "Catalina" isn't it? - not show the junctions or even the compass wiring on the wiring schematics AND the ABYC standard for nav light circuits is GRAY.  But hey, when is a standard not a standard?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

I just wish I could see where it ran!  I have my bulkheads out, although I just refilled the after water tank... I'll stick my arm and phone in there and see what I can find.  I'm afraid that even if I find it, I won't be able to access it, though.  I figure that the stern light and the compass light wiring just have a junction somewhere behind the lazarette but given the instrument panel and the propane locker are in that corner, there's no access that I can think of, short of taking the tank out again and climbing in.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Probably doesn't help you much on your boat but my wiring comes up thru into the forward end of the sail locker and there's a junction for bow running lights, stern light, and the compass light cable.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

rmbrown

Awesome... I'll take a look!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC