Ye old windless question

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I have done some investigating including the one done on a Catalina 1990 boat just a few hull numbers from mine. I have the same locker set up etc.
I have a new 35lb Manson anchor and older rubber covered chain (about 3 feet) attached to 3/4 inch line. In any event, I am looking for a good and reliable windless model. any suggestions. I like the Lewmar stuff but the one used in the tech post is not made anymore. Thanks very much
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jim Hardesty

FWIW  I really like the windless with drum and gipsy.  One use for the drum is take the rode off and use the windless for hoisting myself up the mast.  A lot easier to find help if they only need to tail a line and push a button then crank a winch.  You may want to use a longer, non coated chain, sized to your windless. 
Have you considered finding one salvaged from a hurricane boat?  They are pretty simple things and can be well checked out before installing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

crieders

crieders

in looking around at all the possibilities the one that looks like the least modifications are necessary is that of Tony Plunkett where the head of the unit exits the offset in the anchor locker at right angle (90 Degrees) and then the motor is tucked at 90 degrees to that (headed in down direction) to the right of the offset behind the v berth panal. I have not seen anyone else who has done it that way and I don't know what unit can be configured that way. Any suggestions or thoughts about that installation or what seller might be good to call ? I cannot find Tony Plunkett on our list either

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 11, 2019, 04:38:18 AM
FWIW  I really like the windless with drum and gipsy.  One use for the drum is take the rode off and use the windless for hoisting myself up the mast.  A lot easier to find help if they only need to tail a line and push a button then crank a winch.  You may want to use a longer, non coated chain, sized to your windless. 
Have you considered finding one salvaged from a hurricane boat?  They are pretty simple things and can be well checked out before installing.
Jim

Where / how do you find one salvaged from a hurricane boat?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

You might want this check follow down this thread and check with Brian Yates. He installed a Maxwell V10 windlass I believe.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9609.msg72706.html#msg72706
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig