removing butyl tape residue

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

What solvent? can I use to remove the residue from butyl tape?  I tried acetone and denatured alcohol, didn't work well.  Googled recommendation is adhesive remover that I'm reluctant to use.  FWIW Mainsails butyl tape works very well, I just want to clean the old off before new and I'm messy.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mainesail

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 07, 2019, 03:19:06 PM
What solvent? can I use to remove the residue from butyl tape?  I tried acetone and denatured alcohol, didn't work well.  Googled recommendation is adhesive remover that I'm reluctant to use.  FWIW Mainsails butyl tape works very well, I just want to clean the old off before new and I'm messy.
Jim

Mineral spirits
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

Main Sail,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

mdidomenico

mineral spirits does work, but i've found naptha (bought mine a lowes) seems to work better.  i couldn't tell you the difference between all the spirits, but i went can by can in lowes till i found something that works great.  i used butyl to seal up many holes while fixing leaks in my deck, getting butyl out of non-skid is a pain.  mineral spirits worked well, but naptha seemed to dissolve it much more quickly.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Used mineral sprits.  Worked great.  Did wipe with denatured alcohol before rebeding.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

mainesail

Guys,

If this is for Bed-It Tape, and you're working around the bedded fitting, we only recommend using mineral spirits.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/