Summer 2019 Mainsheet: remote oil filter

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

i shot them an email already, i'll see what they come up with and report back.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

mdidomenico

Jegs support replied and said they didn't have anything that would fit the smaller oil filter.  Since i'm not going in the water this year, i'll probably shelve this project for a while, but i guess i'll have to keep looking around.  i'm sure something exists that isn't the $350 westerbeke kit

mdidomenico

does anyone know the thread size for the oil filter?  following more into this thread, i believe this is the connector pipe on the engine 301490 (westerbeke pn), but i can't find the thread size anywhere.  i found these spin on adapters https://derale.com/product-footer/filtration/engine2013-10-28-09-53-27459934969/spin-on-adapters , but they come in different thread sizes as well as multi-fit universal ones.  since i already have the jegs kit, thought i might try one of these and adapt the two together rather then return the jegs kit.  derale also seems to make kits.

KWKloeber

I do (did the research on ROFs a couple yrs ago - but it will take me a while to go back and locate it and report back.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

don't sweat it.  i ended up ordering the "universal" adapter through amazon.  it has a bunch of adapters along with the flange that claim to fit a range of threads.  we'll see.  it was shipped/sold by amazon.com and listed as prime, so if it sucks it'll go back.

KWKloeber

For the record.

20mm x 1.5

I presume the Jegs filter end won't fit "our" filters- you would need to use a larger one?  3/4 is I think the most common and a much larger filter could be used which will help with cooling (larger volume of oil.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

If the adapter doesn't work - you could always order just the filter land adapter from the Westerbele remote oil kit.  p/n 040075

mdidomenico

just an update.  i received the universal adapter today from derale.  the flange is smaller then the kit from jegs.  unfortunately it looks like the way they've adapted it, it requires inserting a nut which is held in place by a retention spring.  i'm sure it'll work, but it makes me nervous.  i sent the company an email to see if the 20mm version they have is threaded.  i'll check the fit at the boat this weekend.

mdidomenico

Looks like the spin on adapter from delare seems to fit better.  the jegs one has a nicer finish, but doesn't fit.

KWKloeber

MD

Thanks for the update!  I don't like the look of the o-ring being so close to the edge. 
Here are the filter spec - how does that adapter measure up?

Gasket OD    64.0 mm (2.52 in)
Gasket ID  57.4 mm (2.26 in)

I'm going to be careful what I say here because I haven't installed a ROF kit so can't personally attest to which kit fits the Kubota filter land or is applicable to a diesel.

However -- the Kubota oil filter size/part number crosses to the same filter that fits a 1995 Honda Civic L4 engine (and many other vehicles.)  Although another owner came up with that ROF kit part number -- it does NOT appear to be the one that fits that vehicle. 
So you might want to research JEGS or Summit Racing or NAPA or Heyden or Trans Dapt ROF kits that fit that Honda application.

A note - I see a few ROF info sheets that carry a warning "not for diesel or marine use." 
I have no clue why that might be the case.

You might want to reach out to Rod Collins, as he has installed a ROF on his Westerbeke (not Universal) and he might know the answer to the reason behind the diesel/marine warning.

-ken

mdidomenico

I agree i'm not a huge fan of the gasket landing either.  it's a pretty thick but it does seem to seam well into the groove and against the flange face.  the spring clip/nut arrangement does seem to allow me to torque down on the fitting pretty well, maybe its not as much of a concern as i think.

i didn't see any of those warnings on the very brief instructions that came with the packages.  but i'll heed your warning and do a little more research.

unfortunately i left all the parts down at the boat so i can't take measurements.

ultimately for now, i'm going to send these parts back and just put a regular filter back on.  i do like the idea of the remote filter because it lets me use a much larger filter, but i'm not thrilled over the fittings.  the westerbeke part likely is the best option (at least for the engine side), but it's so expensive (comparatively).

KWKloeber

Here is one (not correct for our engines, but I saw warnings on one or more (not all) other brands/models of kits.)

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MARINE OR DIESEL APPLICATIONS
https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/5507682.pdf

Odd - I wonder why unless the pressure is lower on diesels and this adds additional loss (which they all would but don't know how much is too much.)