Lewmar 30 self tailing winch

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

Surprise is a 1987 Catalina 34, hull no. 453.  I started to disassemble the Lewmar 30 self tailing winch to lubricate it to stop the occasional squeal when the winch was under load.  When I checked the Lewmar website to find out about lubricants I found that the pictures and descriptions are different from the winch I have.  On my winch, there is a top plate  secured by four screws.  The screws go through the top plate, and the stripper before entering the threaded holes in the winch body.  When I tried to put the winch back together I was unable to get the holes in the brass plate to line up with the threaded holes in the winch body.  I would like any suggestions on ways to get the holes to line up. (Photo attached)
Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Jon W

The model of Lewmar winch is called "Wavegrip Series". There's a notch in the center spindle that the tab in the collet fits into. Check that the collet tab is lined up with the notch. If it is and still won't slide in, pull the spindle up a little and try again. Last thing is to flip the collet over and try. When I cleaned mine the collets, had matched themselves to one side from wear. New collets are available if you need them. The old part number 15000387 is replaced by 15001431. The new ones require a little filing, but very easy and quick to do. See attachment.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

I've also attached the parts list of the 43/46ST and 30ST Wavegrip winch for reference.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

glennd3

Jon is correct, I did mine a couple of weeks ago and had to pull up on the center spindle to get the collet to slide in the notch.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

Vic and others the Lewmar manuals are in the wiki under the manuals topic.

Obviously if the cane out, they'll go back in, they look like they might be upside down from how they came out?  If they're work, upgrade them. The OEM collets have a tendency to break at the notches.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailr4

Ken,

Just an FYI... the 1989 Wave Grip service manual link gives the 1982 manual.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on May 06, 2019, 08:40:58 AM
Ken,

Just an FYI... the 1989 Wave Grip service manual link gives the 1982 manual.

Rob

THANKS for the heads up ROB!!

Correction made, obviously my original copy/paste w/o editing the link error.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Vic Suben

Thanks for all the replies.  Pulling the spindle up worked.  The tab on each collet slid into the slot and all the holes lined up.
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453