Blown fuse on toilet pump

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

I noticed when flushing the head that the motor was louder and a higher pitch.  It was like this a couple of days before it stopped working. I should have paid more attention to it at first.  After it stopped working I took out the fuse and saw that it was blown.  To my surprise, it was a 20 amp fuse.  I put a slow-burning 30 amp fuse in there and did a short test of the current.  Max amps was about 55, and sustained was about 24 amps.  I checked the voltage and it was normal for a 12V circuit.  The pump is a Jabsco 74001-2460.

Should I replace it?.  I found a replacement online for about $200.  I figured I should run this by you all before I enter my credit card info.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisW

I bought the new pump. The one I have seems to be working OK with a larger fuse. I found out
those pumps should normally draw about 16 amps. It's drawing about 8 more amps than usual. No clogs in the sanitation line.  If the pump dies I will have a backup.

ChrisW

Yes, definitely needed a new pump. It died on me this weekend. I replaced it. What should I do with the old pump? Just chunk it in the dumpster?

SV Sand Pebble

I'm a newbie but a 30 year electrical contractor. As you may know be careful putting in a larger or a bigger fuse in a system if you do not know the manufactures specification. 20 amps is size #12 wire, a larger fuse will in time burn up #12 wire, example 30 amps or larger. Something in the pump must be broken, tight or jammed.
SV Sand Pebble C34 Mark 1 hull #418 engine 25XP