Diesel Fuel Tank Volume - 1987 MK 1

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

For me, those pics raise more questions.
Ok, two inspection plate holes.
One Fuel Fill line - connected to the vent and the fill
One Fuel fill sender hole
but what are the other holes?

FYI Eximius is a 1987 Mk 1 also. #463

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Jon W

Using the bottom photo from my post yesterday as reference -

3 holes on left side top to bottom are fuel supply to Racor, level sender, fuel return.

Moving right are two holes with fastener hole patterns for new access plates. Access plates are 8" Seabuilt brand.

Small tube on tank top right end is the tank vent. On the tank end vertical surface is the 1 1/2" stub for the tank fill hose connection.

The gray piece is a rubber P-trap I used temporarily so water wouldn't drain when I completely filled the tank as part of comparing actual tank capacity to my measurements. It won't be used on the boat.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Maybe this photo of the assembled tank (minus ground wires for access plates) ready to be installed helps? This photo is oriented like it will be installed. The FWD end of the tank is on the right, and the AFT end of the tank is on the left.

Keep in mind, this photo is reversed from the photo I used to answer your questions earlier about what holes are what. Not trying to be confusing, just the way the photos I took ended up.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Jon W

Well, extra effort and good intentions don't always result in what you want. Installed the tank the other day, began filling it by gallon today. Got to 7 gallons in the tank, went down below to make sure the fill hose wasn't leaking. Looked at the forward end, and oh no the tank is leaking. Frustrating that it leaks now after being filled with water and simple green for days without any leaks. I guess the debris I cleaned out is what was plugging the hole. :shock:

Drained and pulled the tank, and brought it to a local metal guy I've used for other work. He's fitting me into his schedule and hopefully I'll have a new tank in a couple weeks. Material will be upgraded to 3/16" thick, and the fill tube put on top of the tank instead of the end.

I think the moral here is, if your tank is original you're on borrowed time.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca